Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
First of all, excuse me for a long post, but I do have some dilemmas, wanted to share my experience and ask for your opinions. I’ve been on the Hackintosh horse since 2006, installed my first one in an AMD64, and it was a lot of fun messing with Tiger there. From 2011 till now with diff systems, it’s been my daily driver and it still is. Problem is I’ve recently acquired a MBP Pro M1 Pro 2021, and boy, new OSs versions and CPUs are amazing.

My current hackintosh is a good machine, but it’s a mess. Story is as it follows, I got myself an NVIDIA GTX 1080 on January 2018 in a good deal, who would have thought what happened months later when somebody requested the drivers for Mojave … On Jan 2020, I decided to upgrade everything but the GPU thinking the 5700 XT wasn’t enough to replace my current one, and High Sierra wasn’t still that old. So current rig is a 9900K on an ASUS TUF Z390-Pro, 32GB DDR4 3400MHz and GTX 1080, running on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

As I stated, I purchased a couple of months ago the new MBP 14”, and also I’ve used the MBP M1 for quite a while, moving CPU out of the equation, I’ve been delighted with all the new options and software support that Big Sur and Monterey offers, and to be stuck at High Sierra it’s starting to hurt from different prospectives.

In summary, my dilemma is:

1 - Upgrade the GPU to 6600 XT and install Monterey 12.1 with OpenCore (never stepped into OC and it seems a bit overwhelming, i’m getting old and lazy) and run this hardware for some more years, despite my 9900K isn’t as powerful as the M1 Pro/M1 Max I think it could handle my workload 2 more years for sure. On the other hand this will have the benefit I could also run Windows and profit my simulation hardware in the same machine (wheel, pedals, etc.)

2 - Forget about Hackintosh after this 15 years adventure, and purchase a desktop option w/M1 Max whenever they’re released. Maintain the “old hardware” exclusively for Windows.

Option 1 saves me money just to benefit from OS updates (which is not a small game for me) … but it doesn’t improve my CPU power comparing to the M1 Pro/Max, and GTX 1080 vs 6600 XT is “practically” the same. Improving everything and/or getting a better GPU will be close to the cost of Option 2 and/or even more, given the current market and prices. Not to mention my current laziness to step into new processes (talking about install hackintosh via OC) and the uncertainty till when it be supported for new OSs.

Option 2 will give me less headaches, and M1 Max GPU 32 Cores will be more than enough for my gaming experience for some years. Problem is I’ll have to maintain a Windows machine just for ocasional use for car simulation games (rest of what I play is supported on the Mac)

Of course, I could handle the documentation and then install OC, but in the long term, only benefit for me from the hackintosh is the ability to keep the same machine for everything, cause I only need Windows to play Asetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 (among others) and not in 4K but in 2560x1080 (at least for now) … so what would you do?

Thanks in advance!

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
First of all, excuse me for a long post, but I do have some dilemmas, wanted to share my experience and ask for your opinions. I’ve been on the Hackintosh horse since 2006, installed my first one in an AMD64, and it was a lot of fun messing with Tiger there. From 2011 till now with diff systems, it’s been my daily driver and it still is. Problem is I’ve recently acquired a MBP Pro M1 Pro 2021, and boy, new OSs versions and CPUs are amazing.

My current hackintosh is a good machine, but it’s a mess. Story is as it follows, I got myself an NVIDIA GTX 1080 on January 2018 in a good deal, who would have thought what happened months later when somebody requested the drivers for Mojave … On Jan 2020, I decided to upgrade everything but the GPU thinking the 5700 XT wasn’t enough to replace my current one, and High Sierra wasn’t still that old. So current rig is a 9900K on an ASUS TUF Z390-Pro, 32GB DDR4 3400MHz and GTX 1080, running on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

As I stated, I purchased a couple of months ago the new MBP 14”, and also I’ve used the MBP M1 for quite a while, moving CPU out of the equation, I’ve been delighted with all the new options and software support that Big Sur and Monterey offers, and to be stuck at High Sierra it’s starting to hurt from different prospectives.

1 - Upgrade the GPU to 6600 XT and install Monterey 12.1 with OpenCore (never stepped into OC and it seems a bit overwhelming, i’m getting old and lazy) and run this hardware for some more years, despite my 9900K isn’t as powerful as the M1 Pro/M1 Max I think it could handle my workload 2 more years for sure. On the other hand this will have the benefit I could also run Windows and profit my simulation hardware in the same machine (wheel, pedals, etc.)

2 - Forget about Hackintosh after this 15 years adventure, and purchase a desktop option w/M1 Max whenever they’re released. Maintain the “old hardware” exclusively for Windows.

Option 1 saves me money just to benefit from OS updates (which is not a small game for me) … but it doesn’t improve my CPU power comparing to the M1 Pro/Max, and GTX 1080 vs 6600 XT is “practically” the same. Improving everything and/or getting a better GPU will be close to the cost of Option 2 and/or even more, given the current market and prices. Not to mention my current laziness to step into new processes (talking about install hackintosh via OC) and the uncertainty till when it be supported for new OSs.

Option 2 will give me less headaches, and M1 Max GPU 32 Cores will be more than enough for my gaming experience for some years. Problem is I’ll have to maintain a Windows machine just for ocasional use for car simulation games (rest of what I play is supported on the Mac)

Of course, I could handle the documentation and then install OC, but in the long term, only benefit for me from the hackintosh is the ability to keep the same machine for everything, cause I only need Windows to play Asetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 (among others) and not in 4K but in 2560x1080 (at least for now) … so what would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Keep windows and buy a new computer using monthly installments.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
When I built my pc machine, I was so thrilled with its performance that I also built a 9700k mackintosh with Radeon7.
I ended up selling it and went iMac 2020.

It was unstable enough to make me wonder. I thought I'd rather go Windows than endure instability.

I'd rather keep it until M1 Max desktops come out. Better yet, I'd get a better Nvidia graphic card, convert it to Windows, and use MBP 14".

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Keep windows and buy a new computer using monthly installments.
Thanks for your suggestion mate, but monthly installments won't be necessary. The point of saving money was cause Option 1 costs me around 900 EUR (GPU+new case+new M.2 drive) and Option 2 will be around 2.5-3K EUR with the config I want, and spending 6K EUR (I already spent 3K on the laptop) on the first generation maybe it's excessive cause I cap my upgrade path a little bit, not to mention keeping 2 desktop computers is a thing that will increase costs in the long term ... hence Option 1 can be the most pragmatic way, get a good all-around performance with updated OS for the next 2-3 years, and then maybe jump to the Mac Mini w/M2 Max or whatever it's available in that moment, maybe Windows is supported again on those machines, who knows?

It was unstable enough to make me wonder. I thought I'd rather go Windows than endure instability.
Sorry to hear that, but I don't have any problems with my current hackintosh machine rather than it's getting "old" (GTX 1080 really needs an upgrade and M1 Pro 10 CPU got me jealous :D) and the fact of being stuck at High Sierra which is really a bummer to me. I didn't had problems neither on the past, it was stable and rock solid as native one with everything working (comparing it to all of my MBPs) ... and I know that if I purchase 6600 XT, I'd have to struggle reading and maybe fixing little things, but Monterey with my hardware on OpenCore, should be totally doable IMHO.

I'd rather keep it until M1 Max desktops come out. Better yet, I'd get a better Nvidia graphic card, convert it to Windows, and use MBP 14".
I get your point to use the laptop and it's 100% understandable, a good friend of mine also told me this, but I don't want to "burn" the MBP as my daily driver, it wasn't purchased for that, but I get it. Thanks for your inputs!!!

---

So many things to consider, and to be fair, cause maybe my first post wasn't as clear as I thought, I really do "live" in Mac, I mean, all my necessities are fulfilled within MacOS except the games/hardware I mentioned, though that, Windows sometimes can be handy for other emergency stuff too, but its use will be marginal.

More opinions are welcome, thank you guys! :)

Reactions: jinnyman

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Thanks in advance!

Hello SirKeldon,

Personally, I would go with option 2.

Hackintoshes are great if you like tinkering around, saving (some) money, etc. But getting a Mac gives stability and reliability, without all the fuss as new macOSes get introduced.

Keep a dedicated Windows machine for games, PC-specific software, etc.

It's fine to have 2 (or more) different computing platforms...they're just tools. Take a look at my signature.

Good luck on your decisions.

richmlow

Reactions: SirKeldon

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Well, updates to this. Hackintosh is not gonna be my daily driver anymore. It's been a nice 15 years adventure. After a lot of thinking, it's not worth for me atm, I'd have to spend a lot of bucks to not improve too much ... and some really long hours till everything is running smooth, I don't want those headaches for my work machine, it will be ok to tinker with it, but not relay on something I know I have to actively maintain and sometimes, to struggle to make it work.

My desktop machine will stay as it is, no updates whatsoever, and it will be the gaming machine and an auxiliar Windows PC.

Next, I decided to upgrade my MBP 14" to M1 Max (it was just 200$ more given the fact I was on the 32GB boat) and it will be my daily driver, not exactly what I wanted, but it's the most smart move, one work/personal machine, at home on clamshell mode, outside as a regular laptop, the Mac Mini idea is vanishing, guess I can wait some few years using the laptop till they release something even more amazing and save some money.

Also, I arranged my setup in order to be able to plug two USB-c cables to the desktop and all the peripherals/display/ethernet will be available through it ... if I want to use the laptop with the same conditions, it will be as fast as switching those two cables and hooking them to the MBP.

EDIT: Thanks to all of you who gave me your input, it was really appreciated

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.