Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple add the iconic taper to the MacBook Air?

• Yes, manilla envelopes for life!

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • No, the uniform design is more practical.

Votes: 39 73.6%

• Total voters

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I laugh at the people who say Apple is getting "the old stock exhausted". You guys simply don't have a solid argument.
It’s marketing. Very similar to what Apple does with the iPhone. Keep an old model around at a lower price than the new model. If it gets people into the store you can then try to upsell to the newer model.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I laugh at the people who say Apple is getting "the old stock exhausted". You guys simply don't have a solid argument.
because it's not an 'argument', simply a statement.

the M1 is still available, and will be for some time. then, at some point, it will be available in the refurbished store only. then, finally, ebay or amazon (with 3rd-party sellers).

same arc as with previous macs. the M1 air is a great mac from 2020. the M2 is a great mac from 2022. no harm in either...

Reactions: Sleix

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Correct. I'm certain that apple mainly builds upon intended forecasts and they have an excess of parts made, so yes, it will be made, and will continue to be made until most of the parts have been exhausted, and you're correct as well, the remaining parts will then be used to cannibalize non working M1s back into working order and be sold as refurbished for those that need the parts. It happens in a lot of industries like this and I'm certain that Apple is not any different in that aspect.

Of course, people will take this statement as if it were an attack on their precious status quo sadly, and not see it for what it is. The design has now outlived its life according to the powers that be and now is being phased out for a new generation of design. Again, as I was mentioning, Apple likes to shake the tree now and again to show that they're progressive, even with a faithful design such as this one.

Reactions: fisherking

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

the M1 is still available, and will be for some time. then, at some point, it will be available in the refurbished store only. then, finally, ebay or amazon (with 3rd-party sellers).

same arc as with previous macs. the M1 air is a great mac from 2020. the M2 is a great mac from 2022. no harm in either...
It’s the argument used against the 13” MBP despite being the 2nd best selling Mac. So I fail to see your point as statement.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It’s the argument used against the 13” MBP despite being the 2nd best selling Mac. So I fail to see your point as statement.
now you've lost me. are we still talking about this statement you made:

"I laugh at the people who say Apple is getting "the old stock exhausted". You guys simply don't have a solid argument."

because, if so, still seems to be 'old stock being sold out'. this is the path every mac takes...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
now you've lost me. are we still talking about this statement you made:

"I laugh at the people who say Apple is getting "the old stock exhausted". You guys simply don't have a solid argument."

because, if so, still seems to be 'old stock being sold out'. this is the path every mac takes...
Not every Mac. Besides, my point is, on one hand you have those same users stating:

“Apple has a efficient and tight supply chain.”

Then for the 13” MBP or the M1 MBA, the argument turns to:

“Exhausting supply.”

Or in other words they are stating, “Apple sucks in supply chain management as they have to sell spares.”

So which is it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Not every Mac. Besides, my point is, on one hand you have those same users stating:

“Apple has a efficient and tight supply chain.”

Then for the 13” MBP or the M1 MBA, the argument turns to:

“Exhausting supply.”

Or in other words they are stating, “Apple sucks in supply chain management as they have to sell spares.”

So which is it?
i can't speak for anyone but myself... same goes for you. anyway this has gone on long enough, will leave it to you to move on, or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.