Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
The only thing I cold thing of would be like the G4s or the Apple Studio Displays(the ones that came with the G4 Cube).

What do you think? Tiny jet engines pusing it into the air? flyMac?:D

(Comments on my new 'tar are fine too).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The chin has nothing to do with holding the Mac up. It could easily be done away with by making the enclosure thicker and putting everything behind the screen.

That said, I don't mind the chin one bit...not that I have an iMac anyway.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
i think the imac would look better if they had designed it "chinless" and indeed they could have made it that way. It is one of those strange designs to me that made me appreciate the G4 imac. I didn't like the G4 until I saw the G5 design which seemed a step backwards to me. I think the AIO design should aim for a sleekness where what we got from apple is plasticy clunkiness IMO.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I'd prefer a 'chinless wonder' - however it wouldn't be as instantly recognisable as an iMac without it.... it'd just look like any other monitor.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Taste and esthetics won't ever agree of course, but I feel the opposite: I like that it's as thin as possible, and I don't mind that the speakers and other internals are below the display as a result.

But as for the OP's question about the "chin" holding things up... I think you mean the "foot" :)

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Danksi said:
I'd prefer a 'chinless wonder' - however it wouldn't be as instantly recognisable as an iMac without it.... it'd just look like any other monitor.

Very true...never really thought about that. If people think it's just a monitor then it could never have the instant appeal of the iMac G3 or iMac G4.

Saying that, I'd still like a chinless aluminum iMac. It would look just like the Apple Displays, and those are gorgeous. I don't care if people think it's just a monitor. And I think they'd still be surprised when they couldn't find where the tower is...

However, despite hating the chin, I gave up and ordered a 17" that will be here soon. Why wait for a product Apple may never release. I needed the extra GBs, and good processor (currently on iBook 1.07GHz...) I'm fairly excited, and if a chinless model comes out...there's always eBay.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
There's not much else they can do with the iMac's design except make it thinner. The next major revision of the iMac will surely sport a thinner, more minimalist design.

The iMac G4 is still my favorite design, by the way. It just looks so damn cool! :p And plus, swiveling the display... there's nothing better than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.