Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Okay so I'm in a delima, I read here today I should not use the Trim Enabler patch since it causes problems like freezing and beach balls (source: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/)

Did a clean install about a week ago, good performance but not great and I have had intermittent lock ups and beach balls after TRIM patch was applied.

Also, I'm reading that I may not need to enable TRIM since the native garbage collection on the SandForce controller is good enough. My specs are in my sig, so what should I do? ATM I erased free space pre-Lion clean install and it's going right now. Should I not mess with TRIM?

Last edited:

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Thanks for the quick response. Am I doing the right thing on initial setup by formatting it, erasing free space (via Terminal) then installing?

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
I don't believe there's any need to erase free space (suggesting it's new) because there hasn't been anything written to it.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
If it was new, I wouldn't. I did a re-install of Lion because of the slow downs and just wanted a fresh start. Drive is only a week old but this is my 2nd install of Lion. 1st was just experimental purposes.

Kraznoff

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2010
Is there a way to manually "trim"? I got close to filling my SSD and deleted a bunch of files, from what I've read this will cause a massive slowdown of the drive, can I clean up the free space without the trim hack?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.