Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmesd760

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2018
I still have a 6 and updated to 11.3 and really wished I didn't. I've legitimately had nothing but problems since I've updated but it might not be the same for you.

anthlis

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
I upgraded my 6S Plus from 10.3.3 to 11.3. It works better than ever. My battery health says it's at 87%. I haven't noticed any appreciable loss of battery life before having to recharge. The control centre is good and I like that I can add shortcuts to set my alarm, apple tv, voice memo and notes there. But my biggest gripe is the redesign of the Podcast app which I just do not like at all.

So, based on my experience, I'd say do it, but YMMV.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
All of my friends who have 6S are really disappointed with the battery life of their devices, so I think I prefer to stay on version which gives me a good amount of 6.5-7 hrs usage time instead of 4-4.5 hrs...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The 6S don't have a great battery life to begin with, at least compared to current standard. It has even smaller battery than the iPhone 6.
Personally, I rather have the battery status that 11.3 gave. At least I can know if I need to replace the battery on my 6S or not, rather than just second guessing during all the device's life.
iOS11 started pretty bad, but imo the 6S fares okay, and I don't remember it being any significantly smoother on iOS10.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
The 6S don't have a great battery life to begin with, at least compared to current standard. It has even smaller battery than the iPhone 6.
Personally, I rather have the battery status that 11.3 gave. At least I can know if I need to replace the battery on my 6S or not, rather than just second guessing during all the device's life.
iOS11 started pretty bad, but imo the 6S fares okay, and I don't remember it being any significantly smoother on iOS10.

That's good, but what if 11.3 reduce the battery life even more? What's the point of knowing exactly the current health status of the battery if software sucks the hell out of it in first place...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If you value Battery Life, stay. I had - although I probably will return to it soon - a 6s on iOS 9.3.3. Still on iOS 9 currently. Battery life was - and and still is, I assume - great. North of 8 hours on normal days. Can't recover it if the iOS update affects it. It's unlikely Apple will boost the battery life of the 6s specifically if it drops it. 4 hours? That's half of iOS 9.

mykero

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
If you value Battery Life, stay. I had - although I probably will return to it soon - a 6s on iOS 9.3.3. Still on iOS 9 currently. Battery life was - and and still is, I assume - great. North of 8 hours on normal days. Can't recover it if the iOS update affects it. It's unlikely Apple will boost the battery life of the 6s specifically if it drops it. 4 hours? That's half of iOS 9.
Congrats you with your 6s on ios 9.3.3, so jealous @@!

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Have fun with all the security flaws.

Reactions: jhall8

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
With a new battery iOS 11 is fine on my 6S. Prior to me replacing the battery performance was ok but battery life was abysmal even with reduce performance (which I couldn’t perceive in real life usage).

I get around 7 hours of usage, 8 if I have excellent cell reception the entire time.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I had great battery life on my 6s+ with iOS 10. From the day I upgraded to iOS 11, I have had terrible battery problems -- just random drops of battery power like 20% in 10 minutes. Happens everyday. iOS reports my battery is at 98% health. Have tried everything to fix it for months. I am actually so desperate I am probably going to try buying a new phone. Wish I had stayed on 10. Wish I could downgrade to 10.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had great battery life on my 6s+ with iOS 10. From the day I upgraded to iOS 11, I have had terrible battery problems -- just random drops of battery power like 20% in 10 minutes. Happens everyday. iOS reports my battery is at 98% health. Have tried everything to fix it for months. I am actually so desperate I am probably going to try buying a new phone. Wish I had stayed on 10. Wish I could downgrade to 10.
What about replacing the battery? And/or a DFU reinstall as new?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
My iPhone 6 Plus is at iOS 8.4 (jailbreak), but my 6s Plus is at 11.3 and runs perfectly fine!

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
I do still think 10.3.3 as best OS for 6S and wouldn't take a risk of ruing it by updating to 11.3. If I would have a chance to revert I probably would hit the trigger, but this way - no, thanks.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
What about replacing the battery? And/or a DFU reinstall as new?
I did a DFU reinstall as new.. zero difference. I don't think the battery is at fault, because the problem appeared instantly the day I installed OS 11. I had flawless battery performance before that, and daily problems since. iOS 11.3 battery health is also showing it at 98%.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I did a DFU reinstall as new.. zero difference. I don't think the battery is at fault, because the problem appeared instantly the day I installed OS 11. I had flawless battery performance before that, and daily problems since. iOS 11.3 battery health is also showing it at 98%.
Randomly dropping power in the range of like 20% in just some minutes does seem to be more along the lines of a battery related issue. Probably better to try replacing the battery with the cheap replacement program that's going on now than to get a whole new device (unless you want or planned for that for various other reasons anyway).

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I do not recommend it. Apple destroyed my 7 Plus when I upgraded to iOS 11. It went from 2 day battery life to lasting a day. Then they also snatched away the fast solid state home button of ios 10. I hate iOS 11 so much I kept my 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 10.3.3. Trust me, the visual change’s feel fresh but after a few days the glaring flaws outweigh them.

Reactions: axari and miragebg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.