Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Two questions:

- My dad is currently unable to play cd's burned by his HP internal CD burner in his car (that is, the burner is in his computer; he's unable to play its products in his car :) ). A friend said this is likely because the CD burner is burning yellow book discs. According to the website, Toast burns red book discs. Should this correct the problem? Or is it possible that his CD player still won't play?

- Roxio's Windows product, Easy CD Creator, sucks arse. Is Toast really better?

imagawa

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2002
I can be possible that the cd player in your dads car doesn't read cd-r discs. I have a similar problem. My dvd player won't play my recorded music but my car cd player will read the same exact discs.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Toast

Originally posted by cleo
Two questions:

- My dad is currently unable to play cd's burned by his HP internal CD burner in his car (that is, the burner is in his computer; he's unable to play its products in his car :) ). A friend said this is likely because the CD burner is burning yellow book discs. According to the website, Toast burns red book discs. Should this correct the problem? Or is it possible that his CD player still won't play?

- Roxio's Windows product, Easy CD Creator, sucks arse. Is Toast really better?

Toast is pretty good...

You should test the CD in other CD-players to see if it's the CD or the player.

Some players have problems with certain CD-R brands vs CD-RW brands... or can't play them at all... you'll have to see....

arn

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Reflectivity

Often the higher quality blanks have a higher reflectivity film, which can be more easily read by cheaper CD drives like those in car stereos.

-=AsukA=-

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
Q&A + comment

Q= "Is Toast good?"

A= Yes, i like Toast, it is VERY tasty and goes great with butter or jam!
(yes the program toast is better than anyhting out ther)

Comment= your Dad - NON SEXUALY- Screwed! unless you/he wants to buy the program. (50$ american i think... or 100$ not sure)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Try lowering the burn rate. Sometimes slowing the burn speed to 2x or 4x will make the cdr more reliable.

OnAShelf

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2002
Some players are just stubborn

A friend of mine only had a dvd player for a while to listen to music on (now she's upgraded to an iBook--another Mac sold, yeah!), however, the dvd player just wouldn't play cd-rs. I did several tests, partly because I've heard these complaints before and was curious. I made a cd using Toast and one with Jam (both different brands--one professional quality one standard issue), as well as a cd using an audio cd-r in my Phillips duel-tray burner, and none of them worked. I think some cd players (especially car and multi-use home -- dvd,mp3,cd,ect) just have trouble playing cd-rs--no matter whether its red-book, black-disc, blue-disc, whatever. They just have trouble with "burning" in the data, rather than the professional "molds" of manufactured music discs. Some other friends have one of those 100+ disc cd-players, and it would never play cd-rs either... good luck.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
I must be totally naïve. I've never heard of red-book or yellow-book. What exactly is that?

No, you are not naive, most people are in your situation. The only way I learned about the difference was when I did work experience in a music studio. There is no real need to know the difference, for the average person. Just know that Toast does a good job but Jam does a professional standard job.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Long time Toast user

I have used Toast from version 3.0 to 5.1.2. Its a great app. Roxio has made major improvements over the verisons when Adaptec made it. Your right that the Windows version sucks. Version 5 has problems with Win2000 and XP Some of the errors are very very bad. If you want to use them I sugest that you read up on it at the Roixo site for the updats. If you install it wrong you could have a major problem on your hands.

As for your Car CD palyer... some of them just done play CD-R's Also.. is there a lable on the CD? some slot loading players cant take disks that are too thick. And as someone sels said.. use Good CD's They cost only a little more and they last much longer. Some brands have problems like the refelective cover comming off.. you loose all your data. A buddy of mine lost 30 CD's worth of Data due to pin holes that formed on the reflective top. Not too good.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Long time Toast user

Originally posted by evildead

use Good CD's They cost only a little more and they last much longer.

this seems to be a recurring theme... what's "good"? i've always used memorex in my icky 4-year old 2x burner.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Long time Toast user

Originally posted by cleo

this seems to be a recurring theme... what's "good"? i've always used memorex in my icky 4-year old 2x burner.

For vital and important stuff I use Kodak.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
brand

Memorx are pretty good. I like TDK, Sony, and Verbatum. I Have very few problems with those. I just grap whatever brand (out of that list) that is on sale that week)

Stay away from PNY... they really suck. Thats the brand that you get pin holes in. They work ok if you put lables on them to protect them... but the money you save buying the cheeper CD's .. you have to spend on lables.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have always had excellent results with Imation, Sony and Memorex cdr media. I have used tons of Imation blanks, and never had a bad burn with Toast. The ONLY time I have problems is with a cd-duplicator at work. Then again, the problems with that are with the hardware, not the media.

Toast 5 is even better then version 4 (deluxe in both cases). It is definately worth getting the deluxe version of Toast.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I got 200 CD-R's for free. They were some special at Office Depot...you had to pay $49.95 for the box, but you could send in a $49.95 rebate on them. Anyhow I was not sure how they would work cause they were so cheapo-value, but to my surprise they work just fine. They say "Prime Peripherals" on them...pretty cheap aye? I have a 6 disk factory changer in my Sable...they play just fine in there and also work in a personal CD player (6 years old) that I have and in a 3 year old RCA player. I burn using the iTunes program. To me iTunes is the easiest way to burn because you know you are getting what you want. Maybe your dad has a PC though...and if he does then I can not offer any help. My sister uses the toast program and a Que! fire burner (I think that is what it is called) on her iMac at home and her B&W G3 at work and she burns music CD's that play in all of her devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.