Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
So today I was at my work doing office stuff, my boss then called me out for help with some promotional material they needed as they know I deal with art and stuff on my free time. "ok, what do you guys need?" I asked, "we need a banner, 70cmx300cm in total. (27"x118"), and need it ASAP", "ohh fu-" I trought, that's HUGE but anyway I said I would try.

So I fired up Clipstudio and begin working on it, the maximum size it allowed was 70x150,, so I decided to make it half the resolution, 35x150 and later try to expand it by 2x while praying to RNGesus that the alghorithm provide a decent result, (alas, the original files they provided me where pretty low res anywhay, 1/4 of a sheet of paper resolution, so it already had lost a lot of quality when expanding from 10cm to 70cm.).

Anyway, Im pretty happy that this little guy managed to edit a HUGE file like this with no problem and only 4gb of RAM. now I know that for the things I do most with it (ilustrations in the 3kx2k), every day I'm more and more happy with the purchase, if just I had the money for the 256gb one... 64gb is too low...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yep.

I just recently got myself acquainted with Affinity Photo and have been working on some sizable projects with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. Some of the selection tools and live filters are really power hungry, and I still haven't managed to get the iPad to even stutter. This is the only way I want to edit photos from now on.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
So today I was at my work doing office stuff, my boss then called me out for help with some promotional material they needed as they know I deal with art and stuff on my free time. "ok, what do you guys need?" I asked, "we need a banner, 70cmx300cm in total. (27"x118"), and need it ASAP", "ohh fu-" I trought, that's HUGE but anyway I said I would try.

So I fired up Clipstudio and begin working on it, the maximum size it allowed was 70x150,, so I decided to make it half the resolution, 35x150 and later try to expand it by 2x while praying to RNGesus that the alghorithm provide a decent result, (alas, the original files they provided me where pretty low res anywhay, 1/4 of a sheet of paper resolution, so it already had lost a lot of quality when expanding from 10cm to 70cm.).

Anyway, Im pretty happy that this little guy managed to edit a HUGE file like this with no problem and only 4gb of RAM. now I know that for the things I do most with it (ilustrations in the 3kx2k), every day I'm more and more happy with the purchase, if just I had the money for the 256gb one... 64gb is too low...
Huh, what a story!

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

Nice to see people using there iPad for work. And yes while the 64GB is a little low on space, you can make it work.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Yep.

I just recently got myself acquainted with Affinity Photo and have been working on some sizable projects with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. Some of the selection tools and live filters are really power hungry, and I still haven't managed to get the iPad to even stutter. This is the only way I want to edit photos from now on.
Oh, I've gotten Affinity Photo to stutter . . . editing a 12k pano! It seems that most software still isn't optimized to take advantage of the multicore A12X too. It really is a powerhouse of a machine.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Oh, I've gotten Affinity Photo to stutter . . . editing a 12k pano! It seems that most software still isn't optimized to take advantage of the multicore A12X too. It really is a powerhouse of a machine.
Ah--yeah, you're right. I was editing a panoramic shot myself the other day--it was one I took in the Smoky Mountains a couple of years ago with my iPhone X. I wouldn't go as far as to say the iPad Pro had trouble with it, but it was definitely slower to load for some tools/personas.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Ah--yeah, you're right. I was editing a panoramic shot myself the other day--it was one I took in the Smoky Mountains a couple of years ago with my iPhone X. I wouldn't go as far as to say the iPad Pro had trouble with it, but it was definitely slower to load for some tools/personas.
Yeah, this was a stitched shot (8 or 9 images?) of RAW images from my Sony A7. Actually I just went back and checked, it was nearly 16K x 7k! Cropped to 9K the iPad Pro handled it just fine. I never tried it but I'm not sure my nMP would have done much better even with 64GB of RAM and 12GB of VRAM.

EDIT: grammar/spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman0616

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Yeah, this was a sticked shot (8 or 9 images?) of RAW images from my Sony A7. Actually I just went back and checked, it was nearly 16K x 7k! Cropped to 9K it handled it just fine. I never tried it but I'm not sure my nMP would have done much better even with 64GB of RAM and 12GB of VRAM.

What GPU do you have with 12GB vram? Titan XP?

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
at least when ipad OS comes out you'll be able to use USB C drives with the ipad so the 64Gb shouldn't be as much of an issue

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Good to hear, I keep saying that the true limits of the 11” iPad Pro have yet to go fully exploited. If you can leverage All 8 CPU Cores and the GPU to its full Potential it’s faster than an i7 8550 +MX150 graphics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.