Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPW99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Wife and I are going to Tokyo for four nights and plan on getting two iPhone XS max’s and possibly an Apple Watch.

Any tips? Has anyone purchased in Tokyo at the official store(s)? I’m quite surprised at how cheap the prices are compared to pretty much.... everywhere

Advice on currency (paying in cash), tax back etc would be appreciated !

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Wife and I are going to Tokyo for four nights and plan on getting two iPhone XS max’s and possibly an Apple Watch.

Any tips? Has anyone purchased in Tokyo at the official store(s)? I’m quite surprised at how cheap the prices are compared to pretty much.... everywhere

Advice on currency (paying in cash), tax back etc would be appreciated !

It's not a good idea to buy iPhones or Apple Watches in Japan unless you're living there or go there frequently.

The Japanese iPhone XS Max contains unique hardware (as does every model from the 7 onwards), so if you need to get it repaired/replaced overseas your local Apple Store will have to order the parts in (which may not be possible).

The same is true for the Japanese Apple Watch, but Apple Watches are even harder to get repaired overseas than iPhones.

I'm speaking from experience here. It honestly may not be worth it.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
You can’t turn off the shutter sound on iPhones and the day on the calendar icon is in black not red.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.