Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Darn shame they can't do one that uses FM to transmit the music, as that would be pretty near the perfect dock
- charges
- music through any stero
- GPS chip in dock and antenna gives better signal

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I like the fact that the iPhone will use the mounts GPS. Maybe it will have an effect on draining the battery. When I have been using my iPhone on trips using google map and the GPS tracking me on the map, My car charger would not charge my phone. The charger would slow the rate of discharge though. I would arrive and my battery would be half full. So maybe now I can have a fully charged phone when I get to my destination.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Darn shame they can't do one that uses FM to transmit the music, as that would be pretty near the perfect dock
- charges

I thought they said it was going to play music through the stereo

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
- charges

I have never heard a FM wireless transmitter that didn't have static or sound like crap.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'd pay upwards of $100 for the app and the mount. That's what I am guessing, personally.

How much is TomTom on other mobile platforms?

You're getting into dedicated GPS territory. Why pay near that to restrict phone usage in the car?

mtbright

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
since the iphone isnt supporting background processes, I wonder how the programming intends to handle incoming calls, texts etc while navigating.. any ideas?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
since the iphone isnt supporting background processes, I wonder how the programming intends to handle incoming calls, texts etc while navigating.. any ideas?

I thought a news story came out where Apple said that they are looking into it as a limited thing. I think it makes sense for this and things like pandora/lastfm. I shouldn't have to stop my music to answer a text.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
The iPhone does support background processes, just in a limited way. Those things will be handled in the same way they currently are. That is, incoming calls will temporarily suspend the running app and return when ended and texts will appear as pop-ups.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The iPhone does support background processes, just in a limited way. Those things will be handled in the same way they currently are. That is, incoming calls will temporarily suspend the running app and return when ended and texts will appear as pop-ups.

I think what he is referring to is that the developers have no control over whether or not their app can run in the background.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster

Unless Apple makes an exception for TomTom, you'd have to restart it after taking the call.

Of course, you could miss a turn during the time you're fumbling to do this.

So it all depends on how silly Apple is willing to look, compared to other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.