Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
If it looks too good to be true then it usually is. Try and find someone who has purchased an item from him before and ask them a few questions. On the whole I would just stay clear. Especially not taking PayPal. No go there I am afraid.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Personally, I think it sounds a little suspicious. No paypal and a late registration date makes me very wary. Something to check, what does this setup cost from Apple? If it is significantly less, that makes it even more suspect.

That's a lot of money so I would err on the side of caution.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I came across an item for sale and i thought that the pricing compared with what i could be getting was a little suspicious.
It's a Macbook Pro 17" and he's asking for £1,300 for it.

Specs:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo £1,799
4GB DDR2 SDRAM (from factory) + £450
17" Glossy Widescreen LCD
High-Resolution LCD - 1920 x 1200 + £60
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM graphics
160GB SATA HDD @ 7200 rpm + £100
SuperDrive DVD Drive

Right so that machine would cost £2,409 from Apple. And you think someone's actually gonna sell you one for £1,300?

(am assuming of course that this is a Buy-It-Now price not the auction start price)

just a little worried because he doesn't take Paypal. Only Direct Bank Deposits. I've emailed him but I'm not sure wether to believe the guy or not. He has other auctions for Macbook Pros and Televisions etc which have gone by without a hitch as i have seen by the good feedback.
Hmmm...

More suspicion is that he only registered on the 21st September this year.
Hmmm...

On one hand it says he's a classic scammer...on the other hand he has all that good feedback from other items.
Go with the first hand. Sorry, no-one would legitimately sell a new item for almost half its list price. It's either stolen or you won't ever see it. And as people often say... if you have to ask...

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Looks like a classic scam to me.

Most of the feedback is for buying 99p PDF equipment manuals, which is a quick and cheap way to build feedback.

He is also selling 2 brand new 15" MacBook Pros for £1200 fitted with high resolution 1920 x 1200 displays :eek

Also, 2 of the TV sets he sold went to the same zero feeback buyer, probably a fake eBay account to get selling feeback?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Definitely a SCAM!

Several months back, I was looking for the MacBook Pro 17" and the guy even sent a website for a bank in Switzerland! He was selling a MBP for $2000 that included software, iPod 80GB, and AppleCare totaling $4600. I did a google search and found this same guy doing business around the world. I even noticed that some "buyers" were still waiting for their MBP's after "biting" and transferring MONEY into his Swiss Bank Account. Go to an Apple Store or buy locally. These SCAMMERS are making money and giving CraigsList and eBay headaches with no alternative to getting your money back! PAYPAL is the only source for me when it comes to buying online, since they offer immediate payment and recourse for FRAUD or a "deal" gone bad!

(This of course, is just my opinion):cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.