Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chew

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Hey all,

I copied 20 GB of videos into the documents data space of a video player app (AVI files so they don't reside in my iTunes) on my iPad.
I have only 15 GB of space left on my MBP's HDD. Now iTunes tried to make a backup of my iPad, failing of course because there weren't enough space left. Indeed I would not want backup the videos, I have them on my external HDD. Is there any way to exclude the document data of specific apps from backup? Currently I just can't do a backup - and I don't want to save big files like videos three times anyway (external HDD, iPad, iPad backup).

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You can identify which apps you don't want to have backed up, but the settings for that are only in the iCloud backup section.

(SETTINGS > iCLOUD > STORAGE & BACKUP > MANAGE STORAGE > [Phone Name] > BACKUP OPTIONS)

I fear that this means you can ONLY make such exclusions if you're backing up to iCloud...probably Apple assumed that anyone backing up to a computer wouldn't care about such things.

My suggestion is to start using iCloud to back-up your phone. * Then go into those settings and exclude that app so it doesn't take up space in your 5 GB of free iCloud space.

* Log into iCloud on your phone first, then plug the phone into iTunes and, on the main iPhone screen in iTunes, select 'Backup to iCloud.'

Chew

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Thank you! I remembered there were such an option somewhere. I didn't remember it was only for iCloud backups.
You're right, I should probably switch to iCloud backups and exclude the big data. At least I will think about it. I now my options now, thanks a lot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.