Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiltonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Hi!

This forum is so full of information, that I'm feeling overwhelmed!

In October, I replaced a 2012 Mac Mini with a Mac Pro 5.1. I added some HDs, an SSD, upgraded to a W3670 and took the RAM to 3 x 8Gb. It's now my main working Mac - just boring work-type stuff, no video or gaming. I love it!

Yesterday, I bought a Mac 1.1 from a local eBayer who wanted collection only, and my opening bid of £100, inc keyboard and mouse, won. It's in very nice condition: 2 x Dual core, Snow Leopard, 6Gb, 250Gb, Airport. My plan is to do the most cost-effective tweaking, to have an effective back up for my 5.1, spending no more than £100, or possibly £150.

But there is SO much information in the Forum, that I'm not sure where to start.

A pair of X5355s at £16 from China seems a no-brainer.
That would suggest flashing the firmware to 2.1. Correct?
But then I want to move from Snow Leopard to Yosemite or El Capitan, and I'm faced with that "Yosemite on 2.1" mega-thread!

Is there a straightforward way to go from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, please? Given that most OS changes seem to have various side-effects, not least with subsequent upgrades, I'd rather avoid having too many stages, though I understand that the mega-thread reflects the learning process of the Mac Pro community.

I'm also unclear how far I can go with the stock Video Card - and don't think I actually need more power for may envisaged use.

Once I've got to a more recent OS, I'll then look to SSDs and HDs.

Thanks for your patience in reading this saga.

Stuart

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Forget the stock video card with El Capitan, you should go for a 5770 minimum (it will do the job just fine btw). As for upgrading the OS, skip Yosemite entirely and go directly to El Capitan. There's another thread in the El Capitan forum that will guide you, it's also a big one but everything you need is on the first post. El Capitan works great on the 1.1/2.1 - SSD being an essential addition imo.

Wiltonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Forget the stock video card with El Capitan, you should go for a 5770 minimum (it will do the job just fine btw). As for upgrading the OS, skip Yosemite entirely and go directly to El Capitan. There's another thread in the El Capitan forum that will guide you, it's also a big one but everything you need is on the first post. El Capitan works great on the 1.1/2.1 - SSD being an essential addition imo.

Thanks. I've found the thread. I note a huge difference in price between "normal" 5770s and those identified as for Macs. Is the only difference than non-Mac-flashed cards don't give the usual boot display? Would I need to do anything to a "non-Mac" 5770?

Stuart

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
An unfleshed PC 5770 should work fine from the login screen onwards (i.e. without boot screen) using DVI. "Should" is no guarantee of course.

Flashing a PC 5770 is not exactly an easy process unless you're technologically savvy with both Macs and PCs. I fancy myself as being fairly knowledgable with my Macs, but I'm no Windoze expert by any extreme. So finding the tools and firmware and the right instructions all took me hours and hours and hours of research and methodical planning before I bit the bullet and went ahead with it. But it all starts with the type of 5770 you get, so you need to read up and research it all before you purchase, that way you'll get a video card that you know will end up with the results you should expect (something about reference models).

Incidentally, I get boot screens off my 5770 by using a DVI to VGA adapter. HDMI doesn't work (at all, let alone for boot screen), and DVI to DVI works but doesn't provide boot screen.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks. I've found the thread. I note a huge difference in price between "normal" 5770s and those identified as for Macs. Is the only difference than non-Mac-flashed cards don't give the usual boot display? Would I need to do anything to a "non-Mac" 5770?

Stuart
I have a HD5770 Mac edition, I have no use for anymore. If you want to buy it, drop me a line in a PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.