Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retardedwhale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Hello. I have a MacBook Pro that connects to the internet via Airport Express, and well ... I don't really know how all of this stuff works because I'm kinda a noob :eek: but what I want to do is to connect my XBOX to this laptop with an ethernet cable so it can connect to the internet. I want to use a little thing called XLink Kai that lets me play my XBOX games online for free. I was wondering if there's a way to make this work, or if it will even work if I just do it right now. Help please?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I have an Xbox and I've used Xlink Kai, but I have my Xbox directly connected to a router. I have spoken with people who do what you want to do though, so maybe I can at least get you started.

One thing you'll need for sure is a crossover cable. This is a special kind of ethernet cable that allows you to connect two client devices (in your case, an Xbox and a Macbook) without the need for any intermediary network hardware (normally a switch/router). From that point on, it's just software configuration. I'm afraid I can't help you out there -- I have never tried bridging connections in OS X.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Not only do you not need a crossover cable, but the setup is very simple. System Preferences -> Sharing pane -> Internet tab. For Share your connection from, choose Airport. To computers using: Built-in Ethernet. Click on the start button, and you should be good to go.

retardedwhale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
wait... so it will work if I connect my xbox to this laptop with the ethernet cable? im kinda confused :confused: sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.