Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but I have to say the tooth floss method really worked for my (rev. 3) MBA. No more awful squeaks in the boardroom or library. Silent as a mouse.

Surprisingly, the oil I purchased that came with the Radtech Glide Quit didn't help at all.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
how did u fix it with a tooth-floss? mind to explain a little.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
how did u fix it with a tooth-floss? mind to explain a little.

Agreed, an explanation of how dental floss saved you from smashing your MBA into the table after it was too disruptive during your executive boardroom firing sessions (I mean decision to cut costs and outsource). Joking, but a little more info could help. Sure we could go to YouTube and search away wasting hours for the miracle cure you could describe in mere seconds.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
smartass. For some reason I thought everyone was aware of it. I only posted this because I thought some other MBA users might be experiencing similar troubles... and frankly didn't believe "flossing" a $2k notebook would work.

It's pretty self-explanatory. Instead of oiling the hinge, sneak a little of that ground breaking new dental utility that everyone's talking about -- standard wax tooth-floss -- between the crevices and floss them... like you would a tooth.

This guy has tried everything: oiling hinge, tightening screws, loosening screws, and eventually found that flossing was the only thing that worked.

JasG

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
I couldn't hear the sound on that you-tube video, but based on your words here, I am heading out for some waxed floss, plain. All the floss I have hear is mint or something like that. I am hoping. My squeak, which is just annoying, nothing more for now, is my own tiny complaint about this remarkable machine.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
open, close the laptop several times. It'll eventually dissipate. It worked on my MBA, MBP and old iBook that had their own, though, less annoying/lengthy squeaks.

worked for this guy.

this guy too... though he dabbed a little cooking oil on the floss.

good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.