Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
This could be interesting and could lead to some disappointing results for the 11 Pros.
Note 10 has F1.5 lens for example.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
So they’ve had 1.5 main sensors for years don’t act like their leagues better in photo quality! If that main sensor is so great how come their idea abilities are so behind Apples who takes tops in videos year and year out!

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
This could be interesting and could lead to some disappointing results for the 11 Pros.
You keep talking about specs. iPhone users for the most part don't care about specs. Apple controls the hardware and software. They get the most out of their hardware. That is why Android phones need 8-12 GB of RAM nowadays and are STILL laggy... but Apple can give you a smooth experience with only 4 GB of RAM. If Apple gives us better pics on f1.8... 99% of users don't care that it is not f1.5.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
It also comes down to the size of the pixels inside the sensor and how the lens appropriates the light! You can let in more light but you also let in more noise the lore noise the more processing must be done!

It’s all about balance

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
It also comes down to the size of the pixels inside the sensor and how the lens appropriates the light! You can let in more light but you also let in more noise the lore noise the more processing must be done!

It’s all about balance
The size of the pixels is the same.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Exactly once you find a good balance of light vs noise that takes great still
Images plus great video you build on that!

That’s why the pixel takes great photos but is terrible at video it’s a game of trade offs

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Hmm... that’s a substantial difference, about 50% more light. Might be that the overall quality of that glass is subpar. There’s a lot of other things to consider, like distortion, sharpness, chromatic aberration, ... . Glass at such low of an f-stop tends to fall short in those categories. And these are costly or plainout impossible artifacts to fix in post

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
F stop isn't about sensor size. That's lens ability. The sensor that takes the image matters more then the glass.

Theoretically, if it were possible, you could once again in theory if it were possible, attach a iPhone 11 lense at f1.8 to a APS-C sensor, then that example would take better photos than even an iPad Pro or the next ten generations of iPhone. My S10 takes excellent photos, but compared to my full frame bodies, it's a joke. And I own some very fast glass.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

delta0

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2018
London
Does that mean my DSLR with its f2.8 lens is worse than a phone camera? It’s a meaningless number. You can put whatever f value you want on it but the what matters is the sensor. A big high quality sensor will perform better in low light, capture clearer images (especially of moving objects) and have less noise. F values confuse people and you need to understand it is connected to a lot of other things that give you the actual light transmission and depth of field. I’m certain a DSLR stopped down to f16 will transmit more light than a phone.

Reactions: Coffee_Time

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you want to amend your thread title so it makes sense?
None of the sensors have an f number. F numbers reference the size of the aperture on a lens.
Although a smaller f number means bigger aperture there are a number of other factors that lead to a good image. I suspect the part that will make the iPhone perform better than its sensor size and fixed aperture lens limitations is the processor and multi shots combined technology.
It still won’t take images as well as my full frame DSLR with pro glass though.
But for 99% of people it will be good enough.

Reactions: Coffee_Time
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.