Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
you know that folder in the finder where you see all your drives plus network which is named whatever your computer is named and has an icon that looks like an imac g4 (for some reason). well i want it in the right side of my dock like any other folder, but i cant find anywhere to drag it from. anyone know where theres a place to drag it from or how to make my own alias for it?

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
open terminal. Its in Application-utilities. Then write
open /volumes
you will see the 'volumes' folder in the finder. Drag in to the space besides trash.

cheers

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
thanks both of you, that worked kinda.
the only problem is in the dock, when you ctrl click the new icon to get the menu you can move out through folders on the hard drive but not on cds. the cd shows up, but just as an alias. any work around?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I think MacWorld had an article about this a few months back... I'll see if I can dig it up. Essentially, you have to write a cronjob that scans for removable media and lists it in the dock folder... there's no way to get the computer to display removable media in the dock otherwise, even by dropping the Volumes folder in the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.