Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm torn between the Capsule Rebel, Capsule Neo, and Incase Slider. My pros and cons of each:

Capsule Rebel:
+looks wild and out there
+the cheapest of the three
+comes with many accessories
-scratches really easily (the case, not the phone)
-might get tired of the really wild look

Capsule Neo:
+looks classy
+somewhat thin
+comes with many accessories
-very hard to install
-can't install/uninstall frequently

Incase Slider:
+looks sweet (I would get the orange.)
+simplistic design, yet eye-catching
-really expensive
-not sure if it scratches the phone

Based on this, what do you guys think I should get? I'm on a heavy budget, but if the Slider is the best, that's what it will be. Thanks a lot in advance!

Also, no silicone (my current case is the SE Colors), occasional drop protection (so no Incipio Feather or Otterbox), and a somewhat wild, unique look.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
If you are planning to upgrade to a new phone this summer, go for the cheapest or nothing in case the phone gets a slight makeover.

Not had experience with the Incase but both Capsule cases are solid.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
If you are planning to upgrade to a new phone this summer, go for the cheapest or nothing in case the phone gets a slight makeover.

Not had experience with the Incase but both Capsule cases are solid.

Thanks, that was pretty helpful advice. Not sure if I will upgrade. If At&t gives us upgrade eligibility then probably, but if not, then no. If I do upgrade, however, I will stick with my SE Colors for now. For now, upgrading is looking rather bleak. :mad:

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Hey, I have all three of these cases and actually have put my thought on my youtube channel, please check it out. http://www.youtube.com/LastStopReviews

Quick thoughts though. if you have a screen protector i'd stay away from the incase slider. The neo is NOT as hard to install as people make it out to be, it takes me 20 seconds, no joke. The rebel is also a great case, no complaints on it. Either switcheasy would serve you well, it's really just a matter of style preference.

Dembo

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
London, UK / Frankfurt, Germany
Hi,

I own the two Capsule's and a Seido Innocase II, here's my history (not my preferences):

1. Capsule Rebel - very solid, excellent protection. I bought the arctic for a black and it just looks horrible. Furthermore: A wee bit bulky.

2. Exchanged the Capsule Rebel for a black Neo - don't worry too much about installation, yes, you should clean the phone prior to installing but it still won't take longer than 5mins or so. Looks are okay (not as "aggressive" when compared to the Rebel) but: The thing turned a little bit wiggly and squeaky after a few months. It's a gradual process but still annoying. Less bulky than the Rebel but still...

3. Finally bought the Innocase II a few weeks ago. Perfect. Very slim while still offering solid protection. Excellent grip and manufactured to much tighter specs than the Capsules - fits perfectly.

I wouldn't recommend the Innocase II if you a worried about scratches - it leaves the Apple logo uncovered/unprotected (I would count this as a plus). I am not worried about scratches aside from the screen for which I use a Brando Ultraclear.

I think this is as close to naked as you'll come with a hard-shell type case.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Big votes for the CapsuleRebel. I use the RebelSerpent and it's awesome. Not bulky, looks pretty cool, less wild than the multi-coloured ones and it's very protective.

A colleague dropped her iPhone in a capsule today onto the concrete floor and there's not a mark on it.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Thanks a lot for all the relies so far. The style preference is the biggest preference for me. That's a problem because I like the design of the orange Slider. Everything else about it is bad, though. Less protection and no accessories. How wild does a Neo look? Does a Rebel really get scratched up a lot? Thanks!

rgt168

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
The Rebel spine does scratch easily but they are pretty minor. The protection is excellent as I dropped my iphone getting out of a small suv and there was no damage. I now use the Rebel Serpent and the spine's design seems to not get scratched up at all.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Slider will scratch up your chrome and sometimes the back. Even if you clean it once or twice a week. Look for threads here that happened to users. Rebel you still have to clean and to me is not a tight fit. NEO has the membrane that completely protects the iPhone. Zero scratches even if you never clean the Neo for several weeks.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Alright so i have all 3.

Rebel's sagging bottom made me mad, think they fixed it now, but no other cons i think but that.

Neo (white) was fine but the lasta part that you put on starts to turn pink, don't understand why. Neo (black) is fine but again that last part gets extremely loose, gets kind of annoying. Also its the thickest of the 3.

Slider- My first slider (black) was a good case, but when i put a screen shield on, it bubbled up.

A week ago i bought the white slider, thinking maybe they've fixed the problem by now. And it doesn't touch my DLO Surface Shield at all, and it doesn't really do much to the back.

If your scared of scratching the back with a case, just take a piece of tape and put it on the back, its what i do and it works fine. Also you won't find a case that doesn't somehow end up scratching your chrome, so don't really worry too much about the chrome man, the coating is made really soft, it will scratch regardless.

So i would have to go with the Incase Slider.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Ok thanks! I really wish Incase included some accessories, but whatever. Does anyone know where the orange Slider (iPhone 3G) can be bought for the cheapest? Thanks in advance!

Thanks to everyone who posted so far. I really appreciate it!

EDIT: Just looked at another thread comparing the Neo and Slider, and they all said the Slider scratches the chrome.

cymrulp

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Uk
Ive had the Capsule rebel and incase.

Most points have been mentioned already, but for my money the Incase is the one to get. I found the Capsule Rebel added too much bulk to the iPhone and the saggy bit meant that scratches got onto the Bezel.

Slider is great, nice design, doesnt add much bulk but if you want a screen protecter that doesnt bubble when using it then get an Invisible shield to go on the screen too.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Ive had the Capsule rebel and incase.

Most points have been mentioned already, but for my money the Incase is the one to get. I found the Capsule Rebel added too much bulk to the iPhone and the saggy bit meant that scratches got onto the Bezel.

Slider is great, nice design, doesnt add much bulk but if you want a screen protecter that doesnt bubble when using it then get an Invisible shield to go on the screen too.

Seriously? How?

Now the Slider is out of my choices. See my edit two posts above to learn why. I don't know if I should get wild style, more thickness, and a risk of sagging (Rebel) or classiness, relatively boring style, and less thickness (Neo). Anyone?

LovemyiPhone111

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
My slider is great. It slides in and out of my front pocket easy, no "sticking" to the material.
I also have a screen shield with no bubbles. I forget what brand it is but I bought it at the apple store, they even installed it for me.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
My slider is great. It slides in and out of my front pocket easy, no "sticking" to the material.
I also have a screen shield with no bubbles. I forget what brand it is but I bought it at the apple store, they even installed it for me.

Again, thanks a lot but read post #13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.