Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'm torn between getting the 11 vs. the 11 Pro. I'm currently on the 8+, but do I use the telephoto option...not too often. However, it'd be a bit weird losing out on the telephotos lens/2x optical zoom. However, paying around $300 more just for that seems silly. Still, I like the idea of having a Pro, but want to save money.

As you can see, I'm torn! Any suggestions or thoughts? What other significant differences are there between the 11/Pro, if any?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Telephoto lens is important to me also that’s why I went from my 8+ to the Max instead of XR last year. I’d be all about the 11 this year if it had the zoom. So it’s not for me.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I'm torn between getting the 11 vs. the 11 Pro. I'm currently on the 8+, but do I use the telephoto option...not too often. However, it'd be a bit weird losing out on the telephotos lens/2x optical zoom. However, paying around $300 more just for that seems silly. Still, I like the idea of having a Pro, but want to save money.

As you can see, I'm torn! Any suggestions or thoughts? What other significant differences are there between the 11/Pro, if any?

The usual stuff. Same as with the Xs / Xs Max, when you compared the Xr with them. Apart from the third telephoto optical zoom lens, you get an OLED display with a higher resolution, more RAM, i think this year the Pro models have the bigger battery, 512 GB option, Stainless Steel design, better water resistance, and well that's it.

Maybe this will help you:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/help-me-choose/

I also have the 8 Plus and i while i don't plan on upgrading for the next couple years, i would get the regular 11 and save some money. Last year i would have picked the Xs Max over the Xr (mainly because of 3D Touch and the dual camera), but since neither of the new phones have 3D Touch and the 11 has a dual camera i am fine with the 11. I don't mind the 828p LCD since it'll do the job and it looks quite good for what it is compared with the Pro. (11 should have the same display as the Xr and that one definitely looked good in person). Battery life will be fine on all models and the OLED doesn't really excite me either. I don't submerge my phone into water because i know that Apple doesn't cover water damage in their warranty, and many are upset with Apple that their new Xr / Xs / Xs Max suffered from water damage and is now not longer working.

You would lose the optical zoom though, but instead you'll get a nice ultra-wide camera with 0.5x "zoom". In addition with the Night Mode, QuickTake Video and AudioZoom i think it's a fair trade-off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.