Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Wow. That argument was very compelling. I think I'll put more thoght to this in the months to come. I have till anlittle after next year to decide. The air would honestly do fine. I mean, 90-95% of the time, I'll be video chatting, web browsing, word processing, and keynote making. All of which, I'm assuming, the high-end Rev. C can handle. And with video editing, I'll only really be cutting and pasting sections.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Just my 3 pence ..... I have both a 15" MPB (previous generation) and a new MBA, and I much prefer to use the Air over the Pro.

Like I said ... just my 12 farthings.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Where is thinness and ever useful? I don't see the appeal of it in a notebook computer that's probably going to be carried in a backpack anyway. I see it in a phone, iPod.. but not a notebook.

The MBP weights 2.5 pounds more.. you won't notice it. If you do.. start working out.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Where is thinness and ever useful? I don't see the appeal of it in a notebook computer that's probably going to be carried in a backpack anyway. I see it in a phone, iPod.. but not a notebook.

The MBP weights 2.5 pounds more.. you won't notice it. If you do.. start working out.
Nicely put! That is what I am trying to say!:p

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

You would certainly be the type I would never recommend an MBA to (the type I referred to in my post on page 2), where practicality is all.

For myself, and I strongly suspect Rai, an MBA would be a much more enjoyable piece of hardware, again refer to my earlier post why.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
You would certainly be the type I would never recommend an MBA to (the type I referred to in my post on page 2), where practicality is all.

For myself, and I strongly suspect Rai, an MBA would be a much more enjoyable piece of hardware, again refer to my earlier post why.
I completely disagree.What do you mean by "enjoyable."

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Like I said. I'm holding my breath for Rev. D. If they are upgraded to a 226GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM, and hopefully (but not a real need) a faster processor, I'll go for the MBA. If not, a 13" MBP is in my future.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I completely disagree.What do you mean by "enjoyable."
As per definition.

Reasons in my post on page 2.

I can't wait for a rev D too, I know it's a long shot, but I would be absolutely over the moon if an update is made tomorrow!

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
As per definition.

Reasons in my post on page 2.

I can't wait for a rev D too, I know it's a long shot, but I would absolutely be over the moon if an update is quietly made tomorrow!
What is fun on the MBA that isn't fun on the Pro?

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
No, just explain to me what you think is fun about the MBA that you will not be able to get on the MBP?
Is the MBP the same as the MBA?

Hehe, with every post you underline the difference in attitude that would make me not recommend an MBA to you, but would to someone like Rai. It's not a sleight at you or anything, it's just a question of approach, a personal philosophy if you will. How much you give weight to aesthetics.

And PS, I also like the MBP, love the solid unibody build and glass trackpad etc, though not as much as I love the MBA. Little else rivals its aesthetics, and if they do (such as the Adamo or the Vaio P), they're usually much weaker.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The bottom line is one who bashes the MBA based on the MBP being only 1.5 lbs heavier and only one inch thicker HAS NEVER USED AN MBA.

One has to truly use the MBA around the house, office, and traveling to understand just how big of an advantage the lightweight and thinness of the MBA is over an MBP.

I can understand people saying, "My MBP's only 50% heavier. That's only 1.5 lbs in a bag." But those people have never used an MBA in those conditions to understand just how big of an advantage it is.

Unless someone truly needs an MBP, the MBA is a far greater complete user experience in my opinion. I understand people seeing an MBA at the store and thinking the difference is minor. But when you get used to an MBA, it's really difficult to go back to a brick of a Mac like the MBP.

While the difference is only less than an inch in width and 1.5 lbs, it's huge in end user experience... night and day. I have had to move from an MBA to 13" uMB for a few months after my rev B MBA was stolen, and it was completely and totally the biggest disappointment I can ever recall when changing computers. The 13" MBP feels like a brick compared to the MBA. And one can fit the MBA into the narrowest of spaces in a tote. The differences are magnified far greater than anyone could realize until dealing with the transition from complete use of the MBA to 13" uMBP.

I really think that the average person who switches to the MBA with HDD will ultimately be disappointed. The differences in speed capabilities are dramatic versus a 13" MB/MBP. However, with the SSD the MBA becomes faster for normal tasks than the MBP with even a 7200 rpm HDD. This is not to say that ALL will be disappointed with MBA with HDD, because certainly some see the tradeoff as worthy for thin lightweight computing. My whole point is there is very little tradeoff to get the thin/lightweight experience when one goes with SSD in the MBA. For me, I recommend the average user should go with MBP if cannot afford the SSD MBA. For some using the MBA as a secondary computer may accept speed of HDD. For $300, and an added boost to CPU, the SSD is an absolute MUST for the MBA for anyone who wants to truly use it like a primary Mac or like a Mac in general.

At the same time, I recommend the MBP to those who truly need the extra capabilities, those who cannot afford the MBA with SSD, and those who don't know yet what they need (like the OP). And probably those who will be forced to use the same MBA for five years should consider the MBP for upgrade capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.