Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to drive to the US to get a HomePod?

• Total voters

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Folks from Toronto: are you going to drive to Buffalo to get the HomePod?

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Not necessarily Buffalo, but I'm considering asking my American friend to pick one up for me.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
What's the price difference and is it worth the 2 hour drive to get their (google maps tells me 1 hour 45 minutes).
It's not the price difference, it's the fact that the HomePod isn't available in Canada yet :eek: (awaiting French language support I guess)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
What about a US mailbox service friendly to Canadians? So much more convenient and they'll ship it to you

gjamesm42

Suspended
Jan 11, 2017
Living right on the border has its perks! I am having one shipped to a package pickup place in the US.
So close I could walk there! But I won't....it's winter!

What about a US mailbox service friendly to Canadians? So much more convenient and they'll ship it to you

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Does anyone know if the HomePod is in any sense "region-locked" to the country it's sold in? For example, if my Apple ID and Apple Music subscription is tied to the Canadian region/store, will that impact the HomePod's functionality?

Last edited:

gjamesm42

Suspended
Jan 11, 2017
Does anyone know if the HomePod is in any sense "region-locked" to the country its sold in? For example, if my Apple ID and Apple Music subscription is tied to the Canadian region/store, will that impact the HomePod's functionality?

I can’t imagine it would be. I download stuff from my US iTunes account in Canada all the time.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
I can’t imagine it would be. I download stuff from my US iTunes account in Canada all the time.

Right. I'm just hoping that I won't be forced to create (or switch to) a US iTunes account to use it.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I am going on Saturday pickup my HomePod at the Walden Galleria  Store!
I pre-ordered it online for an in-store pickup :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Please let us know how much on duties you’ll be forced to pay at the border if any and if you came across with it sealed in the box or opened.

Thanks.

I just got back. They didn’t look at it but I had to pay $110CAD tax for two homepods.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I just got back. They didn’t look at it but I had to pay $110CAD tax for two homepods.
I picked mine up from Walden Galeria today too im in Mississauga.... I paid $70 in taxes for just one! Isn't that excessive? $349 translated to $490 after Buffalo tax... plus the $70 at the canadian border.... I can get a MUCH better sound system for $560... The sound is great but Siri is still dumb which is supposed to be the best part of the homepod..

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I got mine from the Walden Galleria as well. I am very impressed at the sound quality and will definitely go back get a second one when it supports Stereo!
I didn't pay any taxes though. I declared it but the border agent just let me go hahaa
[doublepost=1518331970][/doublepost]
Please let us know how much on duties you’ll be forced to pay at the border if any and if you came across with it sealed in the box or opened.

Thanks.

I didn't pay any duties actually! I declared it but I was just let go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.