Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmishIndy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Illinois
So I am considering upgrading my 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 ghz quad to a 3.46ghz six core. I've been reading up on it and found a copy of the service manual. I am especially concerned about the screws. Some indicate that you should count the turns when you loosen them and then turn it the same number when you tighten. The manual not only gives a specific order but seems to indicate that all 5 must first be torqued to 4 inch lbs and then the 4 closest to the processor torqued to again to 8 inch lbs before giving each screw an additional 1/4 turn. I have found some torque limiting screwdrivers on ebay and elsewhere, but I am not sure if there are any screwdriver bits that will fit. It would of course have to be a #3 hex key at 6" long and have a quick change 1/4" drive end. I have found bit sets that include this bit, but the bits almost always have a 1/4" hex shaped shank most of the length of the bit with only the tip finally tapering down to the #3 size. I am not sure what will fit inside the bore on these heatsinks.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
You don't really need a torque driver for this, as the 2010 models have sprung screws and they really won't go lower that they're designed to unless you really over tighten them. 8 in-lb is just finger tight, which means once the screw stops turning easily, you're done. About the same amount of torque you put when turning a poland spring bottle cap back on. The important part however is to slowly bring the cage down by turning each screw one or two turns and moving over to the next furthest one on a star pattern arrangement. The reason for this is so that the entire assembly lays flush on the cpu and the force would be even across the board, allowing to also spread the thermal paste evenly over the cpu lid.

This is the set I use and has all the metric hex you'll most likely need in other applications:

https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Metri...480229865&sr=8-4&keywords=metric+hex+t+handle

Last edited:

Mac Gus

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2013
New York City
Get an Eklind 3mm T shaped long shaft hex screwdriver. Just don't over-tighten. You can do it by feel. I've changed processors twice in my 2009 Mac Pro without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.