Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
So I’ve googled briefly about torrenting on iPadOS/iOS, and it seems very iffy. I’m not interested in jailbreaking my device, or necessarily torrenting anything illegal, but I’m surprised this is such a chore on iPadOS. Seems Apple is opposed to the very idea, and there are no apps... this strikes me as extremely stupid.

Is there no simple way to use bittorrent on my iPad??

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thanks, adib! Re: not designed to run lengthy background tasks... put that one on the pile of yet another reason why claiming that the iPad can be a total substitute for a laptop running MacOS is an unrealistic dream, like trying to square a circle. Never happen. These devices and OSes are distinct and there are tons and tons of scenarios where they’re simply not substitutes, full stop.

I guess it’s like Steve Jobs said - there are trucks and then there are passenger cars. There will always be scenarios where a passenger car cannot substitute for a truck, although I guess plenty of people can live their lives never needing a truck.

Ever since I lost my iMac, a few weeks ago, I’ve been conducting an experiment to see if I can live just on the iPad Air 3 (on which I’m typing right now). Sadly, there have been many occasions when I am forced to use the M1 MBP (that I supposedly bought for my wife :)).

I always knew that I’ll eventually buy a new iMac, but I’m waiting for Apple Silicon new iMacs; meanwhile I thought “let’s see if I can survive on just the iPad”. So far it’s been rough going.

My conclusion - at this point at least - is, that the iPad cannot be my only computing device. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be for someone else with different needs and use scenarios. Also, there are probably workarounds on the iPad that I’m just not hip to as yet, and in time I could do more things on the iPad with more knowledge of how to use it. After all, I’ve been using computers for decades, so I have a fairly intimate knowledge of how to do things on those systems, whereas I still feel like I’m a novice on the iPad platform (with iOS and the iPhone I’ve never tried to have it substitute for a laptop, although I know many people do - especially the younger generation seems to need ONLY the iPhone and that’s good enough for all their computing needs!).

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
I guess it’s like Steve Jobs said - there are trucks and then there are passenger cars. There will always be scenarios where a passenger car cannot substitute for a truck, although I guess plenty of people can live their lives never needing a truck.

W.r.t SUV vs sedan vs station wagon, a NAS is much better for running torrents or any other lengthy download tasks. These tend to have much larger storage and tend to have lower power consumption than a full computer.

Reactions: The_Interloper

fnsroot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
If you have a Mac, you can build an app by yourself: https://github.com/XITRIX/iTorrent or search for iTorrent IPA and resign it (e.g., with AltStore). For obvious reasons I cannot offer links for the second solution, however, it works fine and no jailbreak is needed. If you use Xcode to build the app, be aware to install Cocoapods.

Cheers

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
W.r.t SUV vs sedan vs station wagon, a NAS is much better for running torrents or any other lengthy download tasks. These tend to have much larger storage and tend to have lower power consumption than a full computer.
+1 for this suggestion. I have a Synology NAS that handles all my torrents and it's fantastic. Even sits behind its own VPN.

Reactions: adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.