Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
http://www.joshferrin.com

It's totally graphic based. But for the purpose, I think that it's simple cartoonish look fits perfectly. I had considered doing some flash but.... do I really need to? Tell me what you think.

Warning! Those people who don't have a sense of humor (nationalistic republicans) will not enjoy my site.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i think the site would benefit from being horizontally centered on the page. also, i did not even notice that the top graphics where links... a nice touch, but very unnoticeable...

when viewing images, i click the next link and it goes back to the index of images... wouldn't it make more sense to link to the next image?

nice overall design, keeping with that cartoonish look and very simple design.

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
the cartoons are chronologically ordered. Thus if you hit 'next' and it's the last one, it takes you to the main page. If you would have hit previous it would have shown you the next older one. I thought it made sense when I designed it......

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I agree with mnkeybsness on the next/previous thing. It's not intuitive since you're not distinguishing anywhere (that I can see) the chronological order.

Maybe change the text to older/newer and have dates next to the text in the initial list so people know what the order is?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice stuff - but it definitely needs to be centered and the navigation on the images is off.

It works fine in the archives :D

D

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
okay centered it. Mr. Anderson, what do you mean the navigation is off? Are you talking about the next previous thing?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, I was talking about the next/previous issue. It seems to be fixed now, yet its still not centered - here's a screen shot

move the image stack to the center, it might require reworking some of the nav items - since the one pic is cut off at the top left.

D

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 325

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Sorry, I hadn't 'put' the new pages on my server. It's centered now.

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
You know, I have thought about it but it takes so long. Furthermore, I get paid to do the ones I do now. If I did it in flash, it would be for my own personal enrichment, not enough motivation for me right now. I will hope to dabble with it after I graduate and have more time. You know what good a degree does you these days, I may have a lot of time to dabble in flash.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, even if you don't do a flash cartoon movie, making it interactive but having the user mouse clicking for the next thing said or going on to the next frame, etc. would be something. And that's not all that much extra time.

Also, in a still image, a simple background animation - Bush Lightyear's rocket flames blasting away and a star background moving across the screen allow for some fun things if the art went to a more internet oriented venue.

Just a thought, you know, the stuffs great.

D

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
The first thing I noticed was that using Internet Explorer 6 on Win 2k Pro, there was a thin white space between each of the images. More likely IE's fault than yours, but thought you'd like to know. :)

It took a bit of clicking around to figure out how to get to the cartoons....I kept clicking on the center image expecting it to take me to them. It's not immediately obvious that you have to go to the top nav items to find this, especially if you're used to webcomics that display the last entry with a "prev" link but no "next".

The "previous/next" is self explanatory, but it's counter-intuitive to click the first item in the list, hit "Next", and be taken back to the list UNLESS you know that the first item is also the oldest. You may want to reverse the list order and put a "NEW! as of <date>" on the most recent entry so that people can a) instantly tell the list order, and b) see whether there's something they haven't read yet.

Otherwise...I like the nice, simple layout, and the little animated Post-Its for navigation links are great. I also like the cartoons themselves (scary though it was to see a cross atop the White House)....keep 'em coming! :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The IE6 thing is probably the whitespace bug. IE displays whitespace that exists in the code when it renders the pages, especially between images and lists.

It's stupid, but easy to fix.

[edit - Actually, it looks like IE6 butchers your page pretty badly.]

ferrin.gif

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
oh man that is horrible! What can I do to fix that? Whitespaces?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by rekoob
That monkey switch ad is HILARIOUS!

that was done by another MacRumors member, teabgs .... he won the MacRumors Switch Ad Contest with that one and actually got noticed nationally...:D

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Like D said, that was someone else...but I did help them with their site. ;)

As far as fixing it goes...that's a toughie. Try getting rid of whitespace in the code (within td tags, between img tags especially). Run the W3C validator and see if it catches anything.

rekoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
I hate microsoft

Well, I couldn't get rid of the wierd bug that was appearing in msie (I even got rid of all the whitespaces and did the wc3 validator with no results). So, I just redid my whole dang site. Should work beautifully now (except for that horrible picture of myself.)

And, woo-hoo! I won an award!

molodyets ya

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i love what you've done!

the rollovers (or should i call them pop-outs?) are awesome... one suggestion... make a "home" link that takes to the main page...

awesome... i really really like it.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
i really like the site, very innovative, and I like the unusual concept of objects :) I made a site like this once, and now i am back to standard crap, but really nice to see ppl breaking out of the standard stuff :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.