Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristof46

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Have you ever experienced not responding Touch ID? I don't say about any errors with notification on screen/touchbar or "please try again"
No just not responding button. The best way to check it is to try set new fingerprint. Nothing happens. It can't scan your finger at all. Sometimes it scans only a part of it. That's obvious I can not use Touch ID to any passwords etc. SMC reset works but sometimes few minutes brake also does a job. Looks like a bug.

This is my second MBP16". Previous one was returned due to kernel panic problem. It also had a problem with Touch ID and it doesn't matter if it clean OS or restored backup. I hope it is Catalina bug not a hardware issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Have you ever experienced not responding Touch ID? I don't say about any errors with notification on screen/touchbar or "please try again"
No just not responding button. The best way to check it is to try set new fingerprint. Nothing happens. It can't scan your finger at all. Sometimes it scans only a part of it. That's obvious I can not use Touch ID to any passwords etc. SMC reset works but sometimes few minutes brake also does a job. Looks like a bug.

This is my second MBP16". Previous one was returned due to kernel panic problem. It also had a problem with Touch ID and it doesn't matter if it clean OS or restored backup. I hope it is Catalina bug not a hardware issue.
Touch ID still working fine on my work 16" which I've been using daily since November.

Reactions: Mojo1019

kristof46

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
I have to admit that my hand are often dry and chapped so that could be a problem.

kristof46

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
During last 3 years with mbp 13” 2016 I used Touch ID less than last two weeks with mbp16. Usually because of my dry skin and job with magic keyboard connected. Anyway if Touch ID in previous laptop couldn’t detect my fingerprint I got any notification. Try again etc. Now totally no response. Of course if we take 100 repetitions only 1 or 2 is failed. Too be honest It is not a big deal especially that after remote job time I will come back to the office and Magic keyboard without Touch ID ;) anyway it is better to know what is going on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.