Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
London
I was sad to see the hack of Touch ID as it probably brings down the curtain on using it as a form of mobile banking. But if it were allied with an iWatch, i could see it being able to be used with mobile banking / payments / high security issues.

I could see it working by allowing Touch ID as a secure password only when in the presence of that person's authenticated iWatch. So you have two parts to the security now, and it would only work when both pieces are in place.

Would that work?

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
I don't dislike the idea, but now I gotta buy another device just because some weirdos found a complicated loophole?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't dislike the idea, but now I gotta buy another device just because some weirdos found a complicated loophole?

You don't have to, it is just a simple, convenient two factor authentication method.

For a majority of people Touch ID is going to be more secure than a passcode that you type into your phone 100 times a day (Unless you cover your phone in a corner every single time.) It would take hours to create the fake fingerprint hack from CCC, because you have to let it set. You also need a clean fingerprint from glass, which isn't going to come off of the phone (They are all smeared/partials at best.) If someone is determined enough they will get into your phone, passcode or touch ID.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You don't have to, it is just a simple, convenient two factor authentication method.

For a majority of people Touch ID is going to be more secure than a passcode that you type into your phone 100 times a day (Unless you cover your phone in a corner every single time.) It would take hours to create the fake fingerprint hack from CCC, because you have to let it set. You also need a clean fingerprint from glass, which isn't going to come off of the phone (They are all smeared/partials at best.) If someone is determined enough they will get into your phone, passcode or touch ID.

Agreed. If I had a 5S, I wouldn't be worried about this.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I was sad to see the hack of Touch ID as it probably brings down the curtain on using it as a form of mobile banking. But if it were allied with an iWatch, i could see it being able to be used with mobile banking / payments / high security issues.

I could see it working by allowing Touch ID as a secure password only when in the presence of that person's authenticated iWatch. So you have two parts to the security now, and it would only work when both pieces are in place.

Would that work?

Hardly a hack when what's required is impossible to get unless the person consents to the initial photo and let's face it if there that stupid then you'd be quicker asking them to place there finger on the bloody sensor

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013

Would that work?

If a thief can get close enough to copy your fingerprint. They can steal your iWatch.

If you already used a PIN, even a 4digit PIN, TouchID is not an improvement to security. The opposite. Any time you add additional doors, you are sacrificing security for convenience.

1. PIN
2. Touch.

Halved the security by doubling the number of doorways and places to stick the lock picks.

It would only increase security if it required both. But there are reliability hurdles there.

Apple knows this. Why do you think they restrict just PIN after first bootup and after 24 hours?

TouchID only increases security by luring those who don't currently use a PIN, to use this due to convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.