Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_beginner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
I am having a new MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.3. Touch ID is working great however every Tuesday morning Touch ID requires the password. This happened on the last three Tuesday mornings, although I am working on my mac every day. According to Apple docs this shouldn't be the case because password for Touch ID is only required in one of those situations:

• If you've just restarted your Mac
  • If you've logged out of your user account
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours
  • If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints

None of those occurred so I am wondering what is going on here. I assume there might be something like a week/7 days password requirement for Touch ID which is not mentioned in the docs. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited:

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
48-hour occurrence only, haven’t noticed it tied to a longer cycle. Do you do something different on Monday evening or Tuesday morning?

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
This has been the case for quite some time now. You need to make sure that you use it more than every 48 hours others that is what happens.

Reactions: jerryk

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you get a random password requirement, and none of the rules you mentioned applies, then it may be that the T2 chip has crashed. Sadly, while recent software updates have made it much more stable, this is still happening, and has been the cause of a few random password requests on my 2018 MacBook Pro.

Reactions: SDColorado

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I do think there is another limitation in there. I get this prompt once a week or so. Happened this AM. Only thing I did unusual last night was run a TM backup and leave it running all night.

mac_beginner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for all the replies. I can confirm that it is still happening to me once per week, no matter if I use it daily or not. Strange...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.