Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleyazor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
The Home Button on my iPhone 7 was overly sensitive and I saw many people saying the solution was to blow some air into it or clean it, from the inside.

After doing that (stupid me I know), my touch ID no longer works. I can press Add Fingerprint but as soon as I press it, it says failed. So the button isn't greyed out.

Even when I connected it to 3uTools, it says that my Touch ID may have been changed while it wasn't changed. And it keeps giving me weird Serial IDs for Touch ID everytime I restart the phone

Here's a video that illustrates the issue: https://streamable.com/iliain

Can someone give me tips on how to fix this issue? Thank you.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iPhone 7 doesn't have a mechanical home button so it unlikely you broke it by blowing air into it. I'd say it just finally broke considering you said it was already acting funny.. Your options are limited because the TouchID sensor is paired to your specific logic board so replacement is impossible to anyone but Apple.. You can try to restore the phone to see if its a software issue, replace the phone with something newer or use the phone with a passcode for security and the virtual home button without TouchID

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.