Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Since installing PB1 on my iPhone 7 it is vibrating everytime I'm unlocking it via Touch ID (I do not mean the haptic feedback engine). This was not the case before. I can disable vibration completely under accessibility in settings, but is there another way I have not found yet to only deactivate the unlock vibration?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Since installing PB1 on my iPhone 7 it is vibrating everytime I'm unlocking it via Touch ID (I do not mean the haptic feedback engine). This was not the case before. I can disable vibration completely under accessibility in settings, but is there another way I have not found yet to only deactivate the unlock vibration?

Touch ID tends to vibrate if the finger print is not being read properly. Have you tried deleting and re-creating your fingerprint?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

A number of people, including me, are experiencing this. No know remediation, other than what you mention. Good news is other people with the same device types are not having it, so it seems like it's probably a bug. Perhaps, as @Armen mentioned it's related to the expected buzz when an unlock fails, and some devices are just jumping the gun. Just speculation at this point.

Reactions: Rocko99991

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I just unlocked my 6+ after not not touching it for a few days (TouchID timed out so it required a password). I got a triple buzz.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
For me it always vibrates really strong everytime it successfully unlocks using touchid on my 8. It’s super annoying I always think I received some notification during the unlock (that happens to me a lot). Unfortunately I think it’s a new feature since when it does not recognise the fingerprint it vibrates twice. And there is no vibration when unlocking with a passcode so I’m thinking they intend it as an indicator of an unlock with touchid.

It happened to me a few times though in the past that I had my phone in a hand and as I was walking I received a notification, ignored it but one of my fingers was on the home button, the phone unlocked and I accidentally deleted some of my apps or texted someone a few weird emojis. So it might be helpful, but they should really tweak the vibration and maybe provide a switch.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It’s the first thing I noticed since I downloaded last night and again this morning. Immediately went into settings to see if it was one of those things that is always switched to “on” when updating.

And strange enough...I seem to remember the same thing happening last year.

But there is no setting now for a notification when unlocking...unless the general system one is for that now?

I’m not crazy, right? There used to be a notification or sound setting for “unlock”???

yansun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for the answers! Yes, it is really annoying. I already reported it to Apple and hope they will fix it in the next beta... If only some people are experiencing this behavior and not everyone it should be a bug, but if this is really intended to be a new "feature" Apple should at least implement a way to deactivate the unlock vibration without deactivating vibration completely.

visberry

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2016
New Zealand
Official Reply from Apple Developer Relations:

"For iPhone 7 and later, upon successful Touch ID authentication, users may receive Taptic Feedback once. If such an attempt fails, then the user will receive Taptic Feedback twice, in quick succession.'

Rusty_Schackleford

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2018
Official Reply from Apple Developer Relations:

"For iPhone 7 and later, upon successful Touch ID authentication, users may receive Taptic Feedback once. If such an attempt fails, then the user will receive Taptic Feedback twice, in quick succession.'

I have a 6s and get the Taptic Feedback every time I successfully use the Touch Id.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I have a 6s and get the Taptic Feedback every time I successfully use the Touch Id.
Edit: below information false, 6s does have a Taptic Engine, sorry.
Perhaps they are making a distinction between Taptic Feedback and vibration; only the 7 and later have the Taptic Engine. (IMO it’d be an unnecessary distinction that only adds ambiguity to that statement, but they’re still technically right)

Last edited:

mef613

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Edit: below information false, 6s does have a Taptic Engine, sorry.
Perhaps they are making a distinction between Taptic Feedback and vibration; only the 7 and later have the Taptic Engine. (IMO it’d be an unnecessary distinction that only adds ambiguity to that statement, but they’re still technically right)

I have a 6, which does not have a Taptic Engine - and I am still getting the single vibration on TouchID unlock.

Reactions: Rocko99991

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I have a 6, which does not have a Taptic Engine - and I am still getting the single vibration on TouchID unlock.
Ok. My point was about Apple saying you only get Taptic Feedback on the 7 onwards didn’t rule out getting vibration on 6s and below. (But that doesn’t make sense cos of the 6s)

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
This thread is good evidence that sometimes we don’t know what we want until it’s gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.