Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocBrownMacMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I am using a 2023 16-inch M2 Max MacBook Pro. I keep my Mac plugged in with the lid open on my desk. When it's asleep, I used to be able to simply rest my finger on the Touch ID sensor and without even pressing down on the key, it would wake up and unlock my Mac.

Since upgrading to Ventura 13.3, when I place my finger on the Touch ID sensor while it's asleep, nothing happens. I have to hit a key or click the trackpad to wake the Mac up first, then it accepts Touch ID input.

Has anybody else noticed this behavior change since upgrading to Ventura 13.3?

spimnyborg

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
I had a different Touch ID issue with 13.3 (wouldn't work at all after update). Found solution from someone else that may or may not help, but shouldn't hurt at all to try ...

Shut down the mac.
Press and hold the power button for full 10 seconds. (you should get a faint "whoosh" sound which I presume is clearing some cache)
Start up normally.

This fixed my Touch ID issue, and has been working since.

Last edited:

DocBrownMacMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I had a different Touch ID issue with 13.3 (wouldn't work at all after update). Found solution from someone else that may or may not help, but shouldn't hurt at all to try ...

Shut down the mac.
Press and hold the power button for full 10 seconds. (you should get a faint "whoosh" sound which I presume is clearing some cache)
Start up normally.

This fixed my Touch ID issue, and has been working since.
Oh interesting, what Mac model are you using? And this is on Ventura 13.3?

DocBrownMacMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Looks like NVRAM/PRAM/SMC reset doesn't apply to Apple Silicon Macs so this isn't an option. Only works on Intel Macs. I've shut down + restarted the Mac and that doesn't seem to have resolved anything.

spimnyborg

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
yeah ... I should have mentioned my specs ... this fixed my issue (which is not quite the same as OP) on 2019 Intel i9 MacBook Pro, with latest Ventura 13.3 update

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
SMC-Reset for Apple Silicon:
The instructions are surprisingly short:

1. Shut down or turn off Mac
  2. wait 30 seconds
  3. restart only after the waiting time
If this doesn’t work, try secure, boot, and check if it’s doing its work.

Luigi_and_Mario_4Eva

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
Hey all, can I share my experience with my new Mac Mini and my frustrations with a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID please.

This following issue is with Apple and I’m awaiting a resolution.

My MacMini is 4/5 weeks old. It has M2 Silicon with OS Ventura 13.4.1 and 16Gb memory. I’m using an Apple 27” Thunderbolt Display.

Background: My MacBook Pro has has given me four years of faultless Touch ID operation at work so I put aside my home iMac and purchased the MacMini to use with a new Touch ID Magic Keyboard that I was gifted.

Touch ID seemed to be working fine but after a few days I could no-longer unlock the MacMini.

I went to System Preferences, removed one of the three learnt finger-prints and attempted to enter my fingerprint again: The sensor was apparently not working and was not reading my print. I rebooted the Mac and the sensor worked again but I soon lost the ability to unlock the screen again. BTW after each learning of a fingerprint, lock and unlocking the Mac worked without any problem with the failure occurring after a few hours.

I contacted Apple Support and was told that I should replace my Keyboard. As I did not have a receipt, I had no warranty and so purchased a new Magic KB with Touch ID; it certainly seemed that the Touch ID sensor in my keyboard was at fault

The new keyboard seemed to work OK for a few days, then the same issues crept back.

I contacted Apple Support again. We ran diagnostics etc. This time I was relieved to hear that there was a technical article related to my MacMini and the Touch ID KB. The fault as I was told had been documented. I asked when it was documented and I was told back in May. Had my first contact with Apple Support read this article, it may not have been suggested that I purchase a new Magic KB with Touch ID. Sigh, but to be honest I was just happy to hear an acknowledgment of the fault and that it had been documented and a solution was being worked on.

In the meantime, I was directed to leave my MacMini on-line and a work-around would be applied remotely. After an hour, the work-around seemed to work, but alas things again went down-hill soon after. I’ve now packed away the Touch ID keyboard and I’m using my extended USB Apple KB.

I’ve been pestering Apple Support for updates on the issue, but there is no news yet and the fault is in the hands of Apple engineers.

This has been my experience and I’m sharing in the hope that it is of some comfort to anyone with the same problem.
Has anyone else been told that there is an issue with Touch ID and a M2 MacMini?
I would be happy to hear if you’ve overcome the problem as I really like the Touch ID feature of the keyboard.

Have a Great Day and thanks MacRumours for this forum.

dudenaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2023
Tucson, Arizona
Touch ID stopped working after 13.5.1 update. Tried all the suggestions, still nothing.
MacOS Ventura 13.5.1
iMac
Apple M1 (2021)
Memory 8 GB
Cleaned TouchID Key.
Was working until 13.5.1

dudenaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2023
Tucson, Arizona
Touch ID stopped working after 13.5.1 update. Tried all the suggestions, still nothing.
MacOS Ventura 13.5.1
iMac
Apple M1 (2021)
Memory 8 GB
Cleaned TouchID Key.
Was working until 13.5.1
I am being told to get a new keyboard. I will hold off a few months until Sonoma is released and see if this issue is fixed in the upgrade.

Luigi_and_Mario_4Eva

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
I’m pleased to report the issue with my Touch ID and M2 MacMini have been resolved after applying the latest OS update. I have been testing for a few weeks with a KB from work. I’m now confident to break the seal on my KB. Good luck with your issues Guys.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
It's happening with my Studio since yesterday. TouchID is completely dead. Ventura 13.4.1 here.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
It's happening with my Studio since yesterday. TouchID is completely dead. Ventura 13.4.1 here.

I am happy to report that after several reboots and even installing the latest Ventura update to no avail, it solved itself with just turning off and on the magic keyboard. Hope it keeps working.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
Similar case here on all my three MacBooks (2 x 16", 1 x 14"):

Since the update from Ventura 13.5 to 13.5.1 TouchID – pressing or only touching – will not work unless I first press any other key to wake up the laptop. Up till and including Ventura 13.5 touching TouchID was enough to wake up the laptop and unlock it.

dudenaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2023
Tucson, Arizona
I am being told to get a new keyboard. I will hold off a few months until Sonoma is released and see if this issue is fixed in the upgrade.
I updated to Ventura 13.5.2 this evening. I am happy to report that TouchID is now available and is working! Glad I did not go and buy a new keyboard as I was told.

Reactions: osplo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.