Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
I would like to have the ESC and Fn keys align as per pre-touchbar models (e.g. about 1cm further left). How?

Cannot fathom UI to BetterTouchTool and don't have the time (due to work commitments) to delve deeply into this.

NB have done a search on Google, but unable to find anyone with the same issue, hence no solutions. Strange that Apple did not consider this to be an issue with their $%"# useless TB...

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Remap caps-lock to ESC. Best solution in my opinion.
Been doing it for almost two years. For quick key access Touchbar sucks.

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
While this isn't necessarily going to solve your issue, it should be noted that you can hit the TB to the left of the 'esc' 'key' and it will register as an esc hit.

Reactions: afir93 and chabig

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
While this isn't necessarily going to solve your issue, it should be noted that you can hit the TB to the left of the 'esc' 'key' and it will register as an esc hit.
I use BTT and actually deleted the ESC key from the Touchbar because of this: it is always there on the far left, even if you can't see it.

I don't think there is any way to accomplish what you want without using BTT.

By the way, an alternative for getting function keys back is to map the number keys to send F-keys when you hold down the "fn" button. In other words, "fn-1" sends an "F1". You would need an app like BTT or Karabiner for that though.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
I use BTT and actually deleted the ESC key from the Touchbar because of this: it is always there on the far left, even if you can't see it.

I don't think there is any way to accomplish what you want without using BTT.

By the way, an alternative for getting function keys back is to map the number keys to send F-keys when you hold down the "fn" button. In other words, "fn-1" sends an "F1". You would need an app like BTT or Karabiner for that though.

OK thanks - do you know if anyone has have a ready script for BTT that I can just open that will align the ESC and Fn keys as per original post?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
esc can't go further left, if you look at the bar the screen stops just next to where esca is, there is no actual screen right to the end of the bar space, so best that can be hoped to achieve would be to align the fn keys and move esc to wrong end I guess.

Reactions: laz232

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
esc can't go further left, if you look at the bar the screen stops just next to where esca is, there is no actual screen right to the end of the bar space, so best that can be hoped to achieve would be to align the fn keys and move esc to wrong end I guess.

Thank you! That provides a definite answer to my question - I had not noticed that.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

I thought I read a year or two ago that if you pressed to the left of the esc, the system still recognises it as an ESC press (even though the display stops at the ESC)? People were questioning Apple's design on this.

UnexpectedHuman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Europe
I have already got so fed up of accidentally resting a finger on the touch-bar ESC key that I ended up using Karabiner Elements to (i) remap touch-bar ESC to FN, and (ii) remap the key above TAB (the rarely used paragraph symbol on my international-english layout) to ESC.

Now accidental light touches to the bar by accident do nothing dangerous and I have a real physical escape key in almost the correct position...

Reactions: Garywan

Garywan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
I have already got so fed up of accidentally resting a finger on the touch-bar ESC key that I ended up using Karabiner Elements to (i) remap touch-bar ESC to FN, and (ii) remap the key above TAB (the rarely used paragraph symbol on my international-english layout) to ESC.

Now accidental light touches to the bar by accident do nothing dangerous and I have a real physical escape key in almost the correct position...
Can you explain specifically how you do that in Karabiner Elements?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.