Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dzarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
I'm running into a weird issue where the trackpad will start clicking a few times randomly (not just a sound, actually tapping on objects on the screen) as soon as I touch it. It will go back to normal after using it for a few seconds. But after I stop using the touchpad and it goes into idle, it happens again when I try to use it. Has anyone run into this issue and found a fix? Thanks in advance!

I am using a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Haven't seen that one before. Sounds like a mechanical issue, like it's out of adjustment. What condition is your battery in?

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Do you have any 3rd party aids keyboard or typing ads installed.

Also, as Sanpete mentions, any issues with battery or bulging in base or under trackpad? The metal where you put your hands, keyboard, track-pad and batteries are all glued and screwed together in a single replaceable unit called a top case. This means when one goes they usually replace them all. I think it is $249 for replacement.

But if you are having issues with your unit you can send it (or take it in when their stores reopen) to Apple and have them diagnosis it. They may just do a top case replacement on their dime because there are so many issues with the 2016-2018 15" and 13" keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.