Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nino88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
Hi there!

I have a tough decision to make. Looking to replace my old iMac from late 2013 and I really love the Macbook pro-2018 model, not the previous models. The only reason I'm afraid of buying this one because of possible flex-gate issues even after a silent fix from Apple extending the cable with 2MM if it's not that the only problem. the keyboard thousands of peoples complaining about the keyboard randomly stopping to work.

I also would like to be mobile because I really love the MacBook Pro 2018 buying an external 4K monitor would be great.

Or I can pick up the 2017's model.. since I really don't care about higher/better-dedicated graphics because I am a developer. But the downside is the default fusion drive and I don't want to pay a premium price for an SSD.

Is it safe buying the new MacBook Pro 2018 or should I get the iMac 5K 3.5ghz 2017 model?

So, no gaming, video editing only surfing and coding.

Price difference 2000 for the iMac and 2400 for MacBook Pro.

Thanks!

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I guess it comes down to if you need mobility. If so, then get the MBP. However, if you're happy with another iMac to replace your 2013 model, then you should consider purchasing the latest iMac 2019 model. There has been no increase in price and you will get more speed and better graphics. Also, I strongly suggest you forego the Fusion drive and instead go with an SSD. I have a 2017 27" 5K iMac with a 512 GB SSD and I can tell you it makes a world of difference. My former machine was a 2013 27" iMac with a spinner HDD. No comparison.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.