Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

I have BT FTTP with a Smart Hub 2 and a Digital Voice phone.

I’ve been having frequent drop-outs and been looking at options to improve the quality and consistency of the WiFi performance.

I’m led to believe that a second router can be connected to the SH2 in series, that will act as the main router but also preserve the DV with the SH2 acting as a DECT base-station.

I have purchased a TP-Link AX55 (AX3000) and connected it as follows;

ONT > SH2 (WAN port)
SH2 (LAN port) > TPL (WAN port)

I have installed the TPL Tether app and followed the setup process to configure the TPL with a recommended Dynamic IP.

I can connect to the TPL router and a speed test returns faster and more consistent speeds than the SH2.

I’m a little concerned though that it seems to have been ‘too easy’..

Can anyone advise on anything more I should do or check to ensure the network is both correct and secure, please?

I should note that I can connect to SSID of both the SH2 and TPL routers and gain internet connectivity..?

Last edited:

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
You have the same security level as before.

You may have added another subnet to your home network. However, if you don’t experience sharing issues between your devices, this is not a concern for you.

Reactions: Hallstar

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Thank you!

My plan is to clean the SH2 of all devices bar the DV handset and join all devices to the TPL.

So the configuration I have applied is correct and I do not need to apply any steps such as noted in this thread..

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Wouldn't you be double natting in this scenario unless you put the smart hub in bridge mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.