Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
I am currently running into a support problem. New Macbook Air after previously a 2012 MBP, person gets mad about the new trackpad, because selecting by hold-and-drag does not work for her.

She tends to keep the thumb very flat to hold while dragging with a finger. The popup for "look up" appears, so obviously the trackpad detects three fingers here. I switched this off in the system preferences, but now still selecting does not work. I cannot evern reproduce this gesture, but this is something taking place so automatically that now there's not much of a point in relearning, in particular since frustration takes over.

Has anyone got an idea how we can make the trackpad behave more like the old one?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The popup for "look up" appears, so obviously the trackpad detects three fingers here.
No, not three fingers. She is pressing too hard and triggering Force Touch. Either adjust that force up so she won’t accidentally trigger it, or turn it off completely.

Reactions: kitKAC and mbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.