Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I've had my rev. C for 5 weeks now and its starting to develop some scratch marks on the screen bezel that line up with the sides of the trackpad button. I tried using some screen cleaning wipes on them but they don't go away. Will Applecare cover this? Definitely seems like a design or manufacturing flaw.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Can you take a photo of it? I'm really curious to see that. I haven't seen any other reporting this issue. I'm an MBA owner for about 3 months now and very happy w/ no weird issues.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Can you take a photo of it? I'm really curious to see that. I haven't seen any other reporting this issue. I'm an MBA owner for about 3 months now and very happy w/ no weird issues.

It's quite common in revision B, there have been threads about it a few months ago. I've got the same issue, it looks like a dark outline of the button around iSight.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
It's quite common in revision B, there have been threads about it a few months ago. I've got the same issue, it looks like a dark outline of the button around iSight.

thanks. i'm new to the MBA but spent a bit of time here. sorry I haven't seen the threads.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have just started to get black residue across right side of trackpad from under the bezel/by display. It also then smears across the top of the bezel after my hands smear the stuff on trackpad. I have read about the black residue before, but I never saw it on my first two MBAs nor any other MBAs in person.

OH WELL! I guess I need to buy a stupid display cover so the keyboard/trackpad don't press against the display. I saw those microfiber covers and thought they were dumb, but may stop this from happening or may just smear back onto the display from the microfiber cloth?

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I am sure we have all seen the black residue that results from aluminum rubbing on aluminum over the years. You see it on the old aluminum storm doors, usually around the hinges and the latch. Being that the MBA is aluminum with a bead blasted finish, it stand to reason it would develop that same black residue, anyplace aluminum contacts aluminum. Of course this is purely aesthetic, and has no effect on the operation of the MBA in any way. The residue is just aluminum sludge, and any outlines, are just the wear marks where the contact is made (and the residue is created).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I am sure we have all seen the black residue that results from aluminum rubbing on aluminum over the years. You see it on the old aluminum storm doors, usually around the hinges and the latch. Being that the MBA is aluminum with a bead blasted finish, it stand to reason it would develop that same black residue, anyplace aluminum contacts aluminum. Of course this is purely aesthetic, and has no effect on the operation of the MBA in any way. The residue is just aluminum sludge, and any outlines, are just the wear marks where the contact is made (and the residue is created).

This is NOT al. touching al.. This is a black residue coming from under the bezel from the display. It's obviously coming from the crack that's where the display touches the underside of bezel. It's definitely not coming from al. touching al. It's coming from display adhesive or something.

mchank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
There's no indent in the aluminum; its smooth on the surface and I can't feel anything when I run my finger over it. Its a black mark/dot caused by the edges of the button. Is there a way to clean it off or something? I tried rubbing alcohol and lcd cleaner but no go.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Most Macbook Airs that were more than few weeks old that I've seen had that problem. There's no easy way to clean it off and Apple will most likely refuse to fix it for that issue alone. You may be able to slip that in if you're sending in for repair on other issues.
I've applied the invisible skin onto the trackpad button and it seemed to have prevented the scuffing.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is one of the widespread issues with the Air that hopefully Apple will eventually fix.

It will be covered, just be persistent if Apple give you any crap with the lemon of a computer that the Air is.

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
mine does this too. there are marks around the isight cover. i think its because the case isnt flush thats why the trackpad scuffs the top part

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
mine does this too. there are marks around the isight cover. i think its because the case isnt flush thats why the trackpad scuffs the top part

That's not what's happening. Look under the edge where the trackpad button touches the bezel of display just under iSight. Under the edge there is black goo. It's coming from UNDER the bezel. It falls to the trackpad button. From there it gets smeared all along the bottom edge just under the iSight.

The black crap isn't from aluminum touching aluminum. It's under the bezel. There is something coming out from there. Use a q-tip and smear it there and you will see it and believe me.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That's not what's happening. Look under the edge where the trackpad button touches the bezel of display just under iSight. Under the edge there is black goo. It's coming from UNDER the bezel. It falls to the trackpad button. From there it gets smeared all along the bottom edge just under the iSight.

The black crap isn't from aluminum touching aluminum. It's under the bezel. There is something coming out from there. Use a q-tip and smear it there and you will see it and believe me.

I'd agree with you, only if I wanted to be wrong. If you ever took apart a MBA, there isn't ANYTHING remotely black or gooey or anything like what any of you described under the display bezel. Apply preschool physics, and you conclude that it can't come from under the bezel.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009

Not sure if you're talking about the same issue as everyone else, but there's simply no chance it's some form of "goo", or any liquid in general, that's leaving the mark. If the stain was previously liquid, it would not be hard to remove with some form of solvent. However, the marks were clearly left by physical abrasion. It sounds almost preposterous that you suggest a q-tip would help.

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
I had the same problem with my version B. I had an A and never had that problem. When I took it to the Apple store in Short Hills NJ, they told me I had dropped my air and caused the top to get out of alignment and it was causing the rubbing. I told them that was ********! I have ALWAYS carried my laptop in a protected bag and never had dropped it. So then I was having problems with the lit keyboard, and was told they had to replace something in the display. I asked if they could take care of the marks and again was told those were cosmetic and not something Apple would cover. I got even more upset because if I were to sell my air later, it would not get as much money. I take very good care of my things! Especially Apple product. I decided to take it to another store an hour away, in Leigh Valley PA to be exact. They were very nice. They looked at the notes that Short Hills had wrote and then asked a manager. He said they would cover the replacement as a courtesy. So now I use a microfiber piece that covers the keyboard and palm area and it's AWSOME. NO MORE MARKS and my bezel looks new and unscratched! I even use it on my MBP 13" that now has replaced my air as the HD on the air is not big enough to be the main computer drive. The minute they come out with a 256 SSD I am back in air! Anyway, I feel for all who have these marks. Apple will blame us all but it is clearly a design flaw that causes the aluminum to rub. Order your microfiber cloth from shaggymac.com. They come in different colors and great to use if you tote your air or any mac around. I also see a difference in keeping the monitor free of marks.

Good luck with the marks.....

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
or do what i do.
use a piece of paper, any letter size will do, and slide it in between the keyboard and the screen when you close it.
no more marks.

simple. free. effective.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Is there way to get rid of the marks?

If it is what I think it is (aluminum rubbing on aluminum), then the only way to get the original look back is to re-surface it. In other words, if it is bead blasted or vapor blasted, you would need to do that finish again. In my estimation, what is being seen is the surface is removed slightly (the residue being aluminum "smut"). If what Scottsdale is saying is correct, you would only need to find a solvent to remove the residue that is coming out from under the bezel.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
If it is what I think it is (aluminum rubbing on aluminum), then the only way to get the original look back is to re-surface it. In other words, if it is bead blasted or vapor blasted, you would need to do that finish again. In my estimation, what is being seen is the surface is removed slightly (the residue being aluminum "smut"). If what Scottsdale is saying is correct, you would only need to find a solvent to remove the residue that is coming out from under the bezel.

if it's a solution you need to remove the goo, try "goo gone". works wonders.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Are the people who have the black goo using the Air in clamshell mode? Just curious. That could explain why some have something perhaps melting inside and other don't.

I don't have any Air anymore so I can't look inside mine.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'd agree with you, only if I wanted to be wrong. If you ever took apart a MBA, there isn't ANYTHING remotely black or gooey or anything like what any of you described under the display bezel. Apply preschool physics, and you conclude that it can't come from under the bezel.

Well, you could be really right, but on mine there is black "dust" that seems like glue and goo so fine that is "smears" where it touches the trackpad button and a finger runs across it. The "goo" is simply from the dust touching fingers and getting moisture.

Now, mine is definitely built up UNDER the edge of the bezel. I can put a q-tip there and that's IT! Maybe it's something else or from somewhere else but it's DEFINITELY collecting there. I have seen it with my own eyes. Wiped it several times. I believe it's not goo but "DUST" that feels gooey when touched or rubbed.

I do not believe it's the aluminum rubbing aluminum but it could be aluminum rubbing the display underneath? I could be wrong... it could be aluminum rubbing aluminum but that's simply not where mine is coming from.

I would love to know the "EXPERT" analysis on why this is?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Well, you could be really right, but on mine there is black "dust" that seems like glue and goo so fine that is "smears" where it touches the trackpad button and a finger runs across it. The "goo" is simply from the dust touching fingers and getting moisture.

Now, mine is definitely built up UNDER the edge of the bezel. I can put a q-tip there and that's IT! Maybe it's something else or from somewhere else but it's DEFINITELY collecting there. I have seen it with my own eyes. Wiped it several times. I believe it's not goo but "DUST" that feels gooey when touched or rubbed.

I do not believe it's the aluminum rubbing aluminum but it could be aluminum rubbing the display underneath? I could be wrong... it could be aluminum rubbing aluminum but that's simply not where mine is coming from.

I would love to know the "EXPERT" analysis on why this is?

I'm hearing the same description over and over, someone grab their camera and take a picture. It's worth a thousand descriptions.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I personally have scratches on the top bezel directly lining up with the button. No goo. I would take a picture, but I only have my iphone and ****** dorm lighting

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I personally have scratches on the top bezel directly lining up with the button. No goo. I would take a picture, but I only have my iphone and ****** dorm lighting

I think people are missing the fact that this stuff appears to be graphite like dust. It gets gooey when finger moisture touches it. I can get a bunch of it right under the top bezel by display. Could be aluminum touching aluminum causing, but I don't believe it myself. Mine isn't scratching anything... it's just dust that looks like a scratch. Completely dry until touched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.