Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
Hello, I just got a MacBook Air over the weekend and I'm already having an irritating problem. Seemingly at random, the cursor on screen will become only a highlight selector. I can't click on any elements of the UI- but if I move the cursor up and down it begins to highlight text on whatever window I was most recently using. I have been able to remedy this issue by connecting my Magic Mouse and right clicking or completely forcing the Mac to shutdown. I have tried closing the app most recently on screen by CMD-OPT-ESC, and have tried resetting the nvRAM, which did not help my issue at all. Am I causing some sort of user error? I am new to macOS so maybe I'm not doing something right. Also, the keyboard works so I can use tab and the arrow keys to navigate sort of. Closing the lid and waiting does not fix the issue. Thank you all for any help- it would be much appreciated.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
I solved it. My mouse was still on in my backpack. I thought I had turned it off. Still weird that you can't override the problem with the trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.