Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oda66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
Hi,
Installed Yosemite on Macbook 3.1 using macpostfactor (other method didn't work).
Worked fine with the known limitations.
Then, after updating to 10.10.5, I got the "no entry" sign, and re-hacked the volume using the "hacked" recovery partition, as instructed. It all seemed fine but after restart, it went all the way to the login window, then the cursor just hangs frozen in the top left corner, and the keyboard is also dead, no Caps light etc. Screen seems alive though, flashes in the password box etc.

(hardwere is fine, still works great under Lion and even 10.10)

I did some testing and found that even when I don't update the system and run the "re-hack" (forgot the actual name) on 10.10.0, it creates the same problem.
So I guess it's the re-hack tool that screws things up.
Anyway, I have access to the drive from another mac if I want, so I can dig in and move stuff around, I just don't know what :)
Also did the pram/nvram etc routines, but i'm sure it's a software thing.
Cheers
Oda

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I replied to the other post you put in another thread with this same problem, telling there my own experience.
I just do not understand why you did not use Yosemite 10.10.5 from the very beginning of your MPF installation since it was the very last Yosemite release. :confused:
In that way you should have avoided having to upgrade to 10.10.5 and the problems you mention.
Sorry for not bringing you any help since what you have done is already done. :oops:
By the way my Macbook 4.1 did not get any kind of Recovery Partition once installing the hacked Yosemite.:rolleyes:
Ed

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Everyone's experiences seems a bit different. My MacBook4,1 - running Yosemite 10.10.5 (hacks installed through the 10.10.5 installer) works fine (with the exception of no audio of any kind, and a very flaky Finder, which I can deal with), and also has the MPF-hacked recovery partition.
And, I agree - setup your MPF install with the 10.10.5 installer. That should avoid your reboot results.

Oda66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
I replied to the other post you put in another thread with this same problem, telling there my own experience.
I just do not understand why you did not use Yosemite 10.10.5 from the very beginning of your MPF installation since it was the very last Yosemite release. :confused:
In that way you should have avoided having to upgrade to 10.10.5 and the problems you mention.
Sorry for not bringing you any help since what you have done is already done. :oops:
By the way my Macbook 4.1 did not get any kind of Recovery Partition once installing the hacked Yosemite.:rolleyes:
Ed

Hi Ed and thanks for both of your replies!
After reading them, I totally agree that I should have simply installed 10.10.5 to begin with, instead of trying to re-patch the updated 10.10.0. Frankly I didn't even know that this version exists as a complete package.
So I grabbed one (ebay.uk) and tried again, first with MacOS extractor, but again the final installation got the no-entry sign when trying to boot from it.
Now MPF at the other hand, will not launch from my 10.10.0, so I'll need to re-install 10.7.5, and start all over, this time using 10.10.5. Never lose hope I guess...
Last question if I may,
Does your MacBook also can't sleep using Yosemite? Any arounds? What if you're on battery, and want to take a 20 min break, you shut down and restart after 20 min? Is there a Hibernation of some sort?
Thanks!
Oded

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi Ed and thanks for both of your replies!
After reading them, I totally agree that I should have simply installed 10.10.5 to begin with, instead of trying to re-patch the updated 10.10.0. Frankly I didn't even know that this version exists as a complete package.
So I grabbed one (ebay.uk) and tried again, first with MacOS extractor, but again the final installation got the no-entry sign when trying to boot from it.
Now MPF at the other hand, will not launch from my 10.10.0, so I'll need to re-install 10.7.5, and start all over, this time using 10.10.5. Never lose hope I guess...
Last question if I may,
Does your MacBook also can't sleep using Yosemite? Any arounds? What if you're on battery, and want to take a 20 min break, you shut down and restart after 20 min? Is there a Hibernation of some sort?
Thanks!
Oded
Sorry for reading your post many days after you wrote it.
I do not put my old MacBook to sleep but leave it on or shut it down. It is just kept for fun and not for any serious work, so I do not hibernate it.
I do not think it would work anyhow but do not feel that booting and shutting it down is such a problem that I should care about hibernating.
I bought a new battery but usually I use it at home with the electricity adaptor.
It is an old machine and while all my old Windows computers are dead and one of them hardly breathing showing the damned BSOD very often, I must admire Apple for having built one that can survive 10 years and still allow a reasonably working Yosemite and Bootcamp Windows 10.
But I accept of course that many things a new can, this old one simply cannot.
For fun it is enough for me but not more than that.
Whoever needs a computer for serious work must have a new machine and if possible with still Apple Care to sleep quietly after work.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.