Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
Yup that’s the only thing. I may reconsider whether I trade in or sell to Decluttr, although Apple is much easier.
But isn’t trading in the iPhone cheaper than the iPhone upgrade program? For instance the iPhone 14 Pro trade in value is $570 right now and you would only have to pay $429 to get the 15 pro

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
But isn’t trading in the iPhone cheaper than the iPhone upgrade program? For instance the iPhone 14 Pro trade in value is $570 right now and you would only have to pay $429 to get the 15 pro
It depends on what size you’re getting. The $429 you quoted is for 128GB. Of course as you increase storage size, you’re going to pay more. 256GB will be $529, 512GB will be $729 and 1TB will be $929 not including tax.

Reactions: Ameer_1

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
It depends on what size you’re getting. The $429 you quoted is for 128GB. Of course as you increase storage size, you’re going to pay more. 256GB will be $529, 512GB will be $729 and 1TB will be $929 not including tax.
Well I usually get the 128gb since I transfer all my pictures on the hard drive but it’s still cheaper to upgrade yearly for $429 compare to apple upgrade program this is more than $600 a year lease.

Reactions: StudioMacs

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Well I usually get the 128gb since I transfer all my pictures on the hard drive but it’s still cheaper to upgrade yearly for $429 compare to apple upgrade program this is more than $600 a year lease.
In that case, it would be cheaper for you to pay full price, trade in your iPhone and have the trade in refunded back to you. I pay outright every year, but this is the first year, that I’ve ever done a trade in with Apple. It went well. I just wish Apple would have higher trade in values.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
With my 13Pro -> 14PM I went the in-store trade in route and it was super smooth for me.

The piece of mind of avoiding some ebay enforced issue, like a scam buyer complaint resulting in a forced chargeback (and them keeping the phone) given ebay’s transition to that new tyrannically authoritarian account setup they have, was worth the trade in value difference compared to selling it myself.

-

Last edited:

CloudsNeverDie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
One thing to note is if you decide to trade in in store after your original purchase, you have to take it back to the same store if you want a refund on your original purchase method and receipt, the option which offers a higher trade in value. If you go to a different store, the employee’s handheld will give them an error message if you try to get the refund on the original receipt, and you’ll end up with a gift card for 10-20% less than the original offer as if you hadn’t bought a new iPhone at all. So much for incentives to buy a new phone.

I don’t know who comes up with these silly rules that make trading in an old device more difficult. Even the employee didn’t understand the error message, and it wasted both our time and the employee’s time. That was our experience yesterday, and it isn’t explained anywhere on Apple's website.

A trade in at Apple should be a trade in. It’s crazy the trade in value depends on whether you trade it in by mail or in store, and whether you go to the same store or a different one.

Last edited:

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
The trade-in with Apple might be less work, but why not first try selling it locally or seeing what other companies offer? It’s a little more effort but can net you much more money! Despite what you read online, the entire public isn’t that bad to deal with. Just ignore the bad ones and move on.

I genuinely don’t understand how people can be happy with the nickel-and-diming from Apple lol. And I’m not just talking low-ball trade-in offers.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
why not first try selling it locally or seeing what other companies offer?
Xfinity Wireless offered me $830 versus Apple offering about $450 (my memory is vague). I originally was not going to upgrade but getting that much money for a two year old phone was hard to pass by. I even thought about buying an older, cheap iPhone and using that for the trade and keeping my 13 Pro and selling it for more than I bought the older phone. But the hassle, nope, my time is worth more.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Does Apple Store accept trades for cracked screens and back?

The phone is otherwise useable but my brother wants to trade his in.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Xfinity Wireless offered me $830 versus Apple offering about $450 (my memory is vague). I originally was not going to upgrade but getting that much money for a two year old phone was hard to pass by. I even thought about buying an older, cheap iPhone and using that for the trade and keeping my 13 Pro and selling it for more than I bought the older phone. But the hassle, nope, my time is worth more.
Glad you got a much better offer. My reply was just to help others get more for their device instead of taking a low offer because it’s easier.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Trade-in value at Apple is the lowest value I have seen, but it is compensated with the convenience and safety of trading last year phone in at store. Since I upgrade my phone yearly, trade-in value is not that bad for me.

This, trading in yearly is essentially the exact same as being in the upgrade program. With that said, you get no extra value for a higher storage device. Doesn't matter if you trade it 128gb or 1TB.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Does Apple Store accept trades for cracked screens and back?

The phone is otherwise useable but my brother wants to trade his in.

They will give you peanuts if your screen is cracked. I think like under $50.

edit: actually they give you no value and offer to recycle it.

Reactions: brucemr

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
One thing to note is if you decide to trade in in store after your original purchase, you have to take it back to the same store if you want a refund on your original purchase method and receipt, the option which offers a higher trade in value. If you go to a different store, the employee’s handheld will give them an error message if you try to get the refund on the original receipt, and you’ll end up with a gift card for 10-20% less than the original offer as if you hadn’t bought a new iPhone at all. So much for incentives to buy a new phone.

I don’t know who comes up with these silly rules that make trading in an old device more difficult. Even the employee didn’t understand the error message, and it wasted both our time and the employee’s time. That was our experience yesterday, and it isn’t explained anywhere on Apple's website.

A trade in at Apple should be a trade in. It’s crazy the trade in value depends on whether you trade it in by mail or in store, and whether you go to the same store or a different one.
that's why you should just always do trade-in as money refund back to your credit card, and purchase phone separately. This will avoid all the issues mixing up trade-in/returns.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
For older hardware you might as well keep it, the trade-in price is nowhere near enough to be worth it, especially if the device is fully functional.

Last year I got an iPad Air 5. I had - and have - no intention of selling my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but for curiosity’s sake, I checked my model’s trade-in price. It was $45. Apple, I’m not giving you my iPad for four times that, let alone $45.

If it is fully functional, I’d just keep it. For the iPhone X Apple offers $120. Fine, better than $45, but if it works, I’d keep it anyway.

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Got $200 for my wife's 11 traded towards 15 Pro. Considering that the battery was on it's last legs, I didn't think that was too bad. The trade in was easy.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I was wondering can I add Applecare+ right now for a 13 Pro for one month just to get the battery replaced and cancel it after one month?
No. You have something like 60 days from the original purchase to sign up for AppleCare.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is Apple safe with shipping in returns vs taking it to a store?

I've shipped it to Apple 4 or 5 times. Only once have I had an issue, but they were able to work it out.

The issue. I traded in an iPhone X and they said they received an iPhone 8, IIRC. It took a few phones calls and Apple releasing they messed up a a lot of customers trade-ins.

Just take a few photos of your phone and one with the screen showing the IMEI before sending it off.

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Newer phones you are better off selling yourself (iPhone 13 and up) but older phones it isn't worth it. I recently traded in my iPhone X for $110 credit. Prices on eBay were around $150 but after shipping and giving eBay their 20% cut, you basically make $10 more than trade-in which isn't worth the hassle.

FWIW, I usually keep my older phones as a backup (so I hung on too my 2nd gen SE) but decided to get rid of the X since it doesn't have eSim compatibility.

AnClar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Very well worth it for me. We got notice today that both phones we traded in (a 12P and a 12PM) were both received in good order. That will result in a total of $1830 in AT&T bill credits. Nice deal.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
It is fast, it is efficient, it does not take up your valuable time, there are no issues with shipping or fraud, and you (largely) do not have to worry about being robbed, stabbed, and/or shot over an electronic device.

I may not make as much money going this route, but it is painless and safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.