Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Very strange that the Apple Associate didn't say anything about a receipt. When I returned my first 11 Pro a couple weeks ago, as busy as the store was, the Associate asked if I wanted a paper receipt or have the receipt emailed to me.

Apple has to have SOME record of the transactions that took place on any given day in their system. I'd be shocked if they didn't. I definitely would tell your son to keep on top of this and keep in constant communication with Apple.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Ok, so I have to eat a little crow here. I think I mentioned my son (25) is pretty incompetent with the details and especially when it comes to finance.

I called Apple support, and although it took me three calls (I’ll spare you the incompetence), they put me in touch with the store manager who had already done his homework.

All of our phones are on my plan and they all are part of the IUP. I pay the cell service but the “kids” pay for the phone. He was eligible for an upgrade. Again, he is pretty oblivious to the details. He moved to NYC a few months ago or I would have held his hand through the process.

Using the Apple Store App, he selected this, and he said, yeah, that’s really cheap, I want that.

But he should have selected this:

So they thought his old phone was paid for and they gave him $500 or so off the 11 Pro. So they financed about half MSRP plus AppleCare. So he is like, wow this phone is only $24 bucks a month! Obviously the old loan is out standing and not paid, so somehow a month later they charge him $500 - either the loan payoff of the old one or the amount they took off the 11.

I think you get it, so I’ll stop here. In the end, Apple did have a good audit trail. They said if he came in they would redo the transaction as an IUP, give him the $500 and reset the financing to full price.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Glad it worked out, I have a 22 yr old, I knew where you were coming from. :D

See ya round the threads.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the follow up. I'm glad it worked out in the end. I think the thing that most surprises me is this:

So they thought his old phone was paid for and they gave him $500 or so off the 11 Pro.

I am amazed that the Apple store staff got that mixed up.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Thanks for the follow up. I'm glad it worked out in the end. I think the thing that most surprises me is this:

So they thought his old phone was paid for and they gave him $500 or so off the 11 Pro.

I am amazed that the Apple store staff got that mixed up.

Same, all they had to do was scan the IMEI. This was probably a result of the shambles in the stores post release coupled with a decrease in the quality of service, i.e. Geniuses knowing what they used to know. Can't tell you how many times I have corrected them as of late. What's going on with Apple service (and Amazon too!).

I spoke with the manager of the store at length. He didn't own it, but he was more than willing to make it right.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
@LarryJoe33 I think you left your phone # in those pics up there. Might wanna remove it.
[automerge]1572523461[/automerge]
I know this type of shenanigans happens at T-Mobile and co but at an Apple store? Wow I’m throwing my wishes at you guys since this happened to me with t mobile trade in, they somehow lost 3 iPhones I trade in within their warehouse, had to escalate short of small claims court to get that resolved.
It used to be a big problem with TMo's trade in when you had to send the trade in yourself. I had problem twice where the trade was not properly linked. Thankfully I kept the entire paper trail and TMo fixed it for me one way or another, but it required some effort. Now if you do TMo trade in in one of their own corporate stores, they take the trade in on the spot and within a day whatever credit you're due will show up in your account, unlike in the past where you had to wait and pray for 2-3 billing cycles. I did two trades this year for my son (lol) and my sis inlaw and it was the easiest thing ever. Costco was giving a better deal at the time but required sending in the trade yourself.

Last edited:

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
@LarryJoe33 I think you left your phone # in those pics up there. Might wanna remove it.
[automerge]1572523461[/automerge]

It used to be a big problem with TMo's trade in when you had to send the trade in yourself. I had problem twice where the trade was not properly linked. Thankfully I kept the entire paper trail and TMo fixed it for me one way or another, but it required some effort. Now if you do TMo trade in in one of their own corporate stores, they take the trade in on the spot and within a day whatever credit you're due will show up in your account, unlike in the past where you had to wait and pray for 2-3 billing cycles. I did two trades this year for my son (lol) and my sis inlaw and it was the easiest thing ever. Costco was giving a better deal at the time but required sending in the trade yourself.

Oh boy, thanks for that! I get enough spam calls. I just removed them. I think we all got the point.

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I am glad you followed up! Great it is now all straightened out, but what a worry and ordeal. My children have proven how ill-responsible they are, so at 37 and 38, they are on their own for everything.

Reactions: LarryJoe33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.