Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
A bit of a unique question..

I have an iPhone XS Max that is half paid off and I am considering buying the 11 from Apple with their new trade in system.

Can I trade in my XS Max to Apple towards the 11 even though I still owe At&t $550(half) and then just continue paying AT&T monthly for the remainder of the Max even though I already gave it to Apple? I would select to Trade-In plus 1 full payment(600 credit + $99 1 time payment = $699) on the new 11 (so the new phone would be paid in full in one payment w/ trade-in) but still owe my monthly payment to AT&T for the phone i dont even own anymore?

OR can you not trade in a phone to Apple that has a balance remaining? (how would they know it has a balance on my AT&T bill??)

Id rather just trade in and pay off the 11 but continue to pay $30 a month to AT&T than to pay the remaining $550 and start a new payment on the 11.. Basically it will only cost me $99 + tax tomorrow instead of paying $550 to AT&T (and i dont trust mailing a phone in to AT&T to just upgrade to 11...)

Didn't see anyone else ask this exact / weird trade in question! Thanks

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
A bit of a unique question..

I have an iPhone XS Max that is half paid off and I am considering buying the 11 from Apple with their new trade in system.

Can I trade in my XS Max to Apple towards the 11 even though I still owe At&t $550(half) and then just continue paying AT&T monthly for the remainder of the Max even though I already gave it to Apple? I would select to Trade-In plus 1 full payment(600 credit + $99 1 time payment = $699) on the new 11 (so the new phone would be paid in full in one payment w/ trade-in) but still owe my monthly payment to AT&T for the phone i dont even own anymore?

OR can you not trade in a phone to Apple that has a balance remaining? (how would they know it has a balance on my AT&T bill??)

Id rather just trade in and pay off the 11 but continue to pay $30 a month to AT&T than to pay the remaining $550 and start a new payment on the 11.. Basically it will only cost me $99 + tax tomorrow instead of paying $550 to AT&T (and i dont trust mailing a phone in to AT&T to just upgrade to 11...)

Didn't see anyone else ask this exact / weird trade in question! Thanks

Gotta pay it off first

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
Gotta pay it off first

In the Apple Store app it lets me select "this device" for $600 trade-in credit and select iPhone 11 with only $99 due. If I mail it to them there is no way for them to know it isn't paid off - and AT&T don't know if it's in my Dads hand or someone across the state...

1ER0Jwf

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
In the Apple Store app it lets me select "this device" for $600 trade-in credit and select iPhone 11 with only $99 due. If I mail it to them there is no way for them to know it isn't paid off - and AT&T don't know if it's in my Dads hand or someone across the state...

1ER0Jwf

They’ll know and they’ll check the imei to make sure it’s not tied. Just pay the device off and trade it in. Or pay it off and sell it for 800-900 on swappa

If you want to trade it in then try it. If it works then you got the device for 99, if it doesn’t lesson learned and you’ll owe the full amount for both devices

Reactions: IndianBird

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
They’ll know and they’ll check the imei to make sure it’s not tied. Just pay the device off and trade it in. Or pay it off and sell it for 800-900 on swappa

If you want to trade it in then try it. If it works then you got the device for 99, if it doesn’t lesson learned and you’ll owe the full amount for both devices

AT&T doesn't blacklist IMEI for devices not paid off - its just stuck on AT&T instead of being unlocked to any provider - It just seems weird they don't have some question asking if it's paid in full before selecting to trade-in. If only AT&T would let you trade-in in store I wouldn't mind - but I have heard tons of horror stories about shipping back to AT&T

bbj77

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
I’m in sort of same boat with my wife’s iPhone XS. I can pay it off to ATT for $690 and then trade it in to Apple for their $500 trade in value. Or keep paying the $37 a month to ATT and send the phone to Apple for trade in. But I guess Apple could refuse it since it’s not paid off?

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
I’m in sort of same boat with my wife’s iPhone XS. I can pay it off to ATT for $690 and then trade it in to Apple for their $500 trade in value. Or keep paying the $37 a month to ATT and send the phone to Apple for trade in. But I guess Apple could refuse it since it’s not paid off?

I would understand it not being acceptable to continue making payments on the old phone IF im trying to make payments on the new device too.. BUT I am going to buy the iPhone 11 in full... so I would only have 1 payment on AT&T still, not an old payment and new payment stacked.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
AT&T doesn't blacklist IMEI for devices not paid off - its just stuck on AT&T instead of being unlocked to any provider - It just seems weird they don't have some question asking if it's paid in full before selecting to trade-in. If only AT&T would let you trade-in in store I wouldn't mind - but I have heard tons of horror stories about shipping back to AT&T

My friend traded in his s9+ he owed like 50 on to Best Buy and put that as a down payment on a note so you’re good.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
The ethical thing to do would be to pay it off. However, I worked at best buy and have taken phones in as trade in that was not paid off.

We did enter the imei number but that just verified the phone wasn't tied to an active line (sprint) any other carriers, it just accepted it.

As for sprint, if the device was on an active line...the owner could swap the device out with another one. Then complete the trade in.

There is no way to tell if a balance is owed in the device when doing a trade in.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have traded a phone to Apple before that still had an installment. It was one of those 30 monthly credit things so I had to keep making payments to receive the credits.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
875F8669-6B6B-4DC6-BC3F-B5476C96BDF2.jpeg
Hey OP. Same here. I have iPhone XS and around $600 to go in payments. I wanted to do exactly the same thing. Trade it in and keep paying ATT.
I guess, I’ll have to pay it off first with ATT.
Perhaps put it on Swappa and see if I can get more.

My question is about the trade in value while doing Apple iPhone payments. I don’t understand their wording....the trade in value is credited up front toward your monthly payments.
Do I get it right that the $500 will be split for monthly payments? Or is it going to be used as a total $500 toward the whole price right at the beginning, in one payment... and I’ll start making payments for the remaining amount due?
[doublepost=1568430568][/doublepost]Hey OP. Same here. I have iPhone XS and around $600 to go in payments. I wanted to do exactly the same thing. Trade it in and keep paying ATT.
I guess, I’ll have to pay it off first with ATT.
Perhaps put it on Swappa and see if I can get more.

My question is about the trade in value while doing Apple iPhone payments. I don’t understand their wording....the trade in value is credited up front toward your monthly payments.
Do I get it right that the $500 will be split for monthly payments? Or is it going to be used as a total $500 toward the whole price right at the beginning, in one payment... and I’ll start making payments for the remaining amount due?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.