Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
So I'm wanting to trade in my iPhone 12 to get credit and then finance an iPhone 14 Pro. I have a very minor crack on the screen that I'm getting repaired tomorrow (I still have AppleCare so it won't be much).

But that aside, there are a couple of dings on the edges....which are mainly visible since the phone is dark blue and obviously the color chips off when it's dinged, so they stand out.

If I say it's in good condition and "Yes" to all of the questions since nothing is major, everything still works fine....will my trade in be accepted? If I bring it to a store to trade in, will that be the end of it or is there still a chance I could get an email weeks later saying it wasn't accepted?

Also, if terms of the monthly payment are set when I get the new phone (factoring in the trade-in), what exactly happens if it isn't accepted a few weeks later? Can I pay upfront for the amount they aren't accepting, or what?

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Best bet is to bring it in the store. If you do that they can apply credit to your new phone on the spot or give you a give card essentially ending the transaction. If you mail your device it then it will get inspected and they may reduce the quote, if so you can request a return of the device.

Bottom line, if you're worried then take it into the store. You don't even need the box or accessories.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
Best bet is to bring it in the store. If you do that they can apply credit to your new phone on the spot or give you a give card essentially ending the transaction. If you mail your device it then it will get inspected and they may reduce the quote, if so you can request a return of the device.

Bottom line, if you're worried then take it into the store. You don't even need the box or accessories.

Do you think there's a better chance the store with take it with minor dings, than it would be to mail it in?

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
You can always decline the trade in when you go into the store and then send the phone in to see what they will offer you. I'd recommend going in person and possible sweet talk a little bit to get them on your good side. It's likely they wont ding you for minor damage though.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

Can you even do that. My understanding once they sent out a box for your trade in it must be received to that certain collection point?

coreytime

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Can you even do that. My understanding once they sent out a box for your trade in it must be received to that certain collection point?
last year i had the trade in box and just took it to the store.. cant remember if i had to make an appointment though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.