Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Was thinking of using a reputable trade/recycle site for my Xs max but within a few hours the price I was originally being offered (not locked in) has gone down by around £50 or there abouts. This morning my Xs max was valued at £540. This evening it’s now valued at £493 by the same recycle company.

I also used a compare site that lists all the major trade-in sites with price comparisons..they have all also significantly dropped their offer prices in the past few hours.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Or just bad luck/timing. I mean, I expect offer prices to go down but that is quite a chunk in the space of some hours. What are the chances of the offers dropping further in a day or two, while I consider my options?
Anyone here had any experience of this?

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Related question: Is it reasonable to lock in a trade in price (by starting the process online) in anticipating of new iPhone coming out? e.g. I want the new iPhone for this year, so submit a trade in for iPhone 11 Pro while it's still $500 just before the new model announcement (assuming prices hold) and then mail it in after the fact?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Here in the US my iPhone xR increased by $10 via Apple trade-in on Thursday. I'm not trading at the moment, but I check now and then.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Related question: Is it reasonable to lock in a trade in price (by starting the process online) in anticipating of new iPhone coming out? e.g. I want the new iPhone for this year, so submit a trade in for iPhone 11 Pro while it's still $500 just before the new model announcement (assuming prices hold) and then mail it in after the fact?
I suppose it's possible that it might work. You'd only have a very limited time to send it in, usually I believe 10-14 days.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
I suppose it's possible that it might work. You'd only have a very limited time to send it in, usually I believe 10-14 days.
I have a SE for $205 and 11 Pro for $495 in the mail now, waiting for the gift card to be issued. Although I now suspect the 11 Pro would have fetched more if I sold it locally...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.