Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I was upbeat receiving a $90 credit for my old watch series 5... Having ordered it online and then sending the old one back as required, they sent me a message claiming the trade-in value was $0 instead of $90... On what basis did they decide this on a perfectly good watch without any scratches at all....

So probably I would have gotten more money had I just sold it on ebay or elsewhere...

Anyone else have a bad experience trading in an apple watch series 5?

I was expecting more from apple frankly...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t know why they denied your trade, but they will send the watch back to you, and you can sell it yourself. No scam.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
they sent me a message claiming the trade-in value was $0 instead of $90... On what basis did they decide this on a perfectly good watch without any scratches at all....

Apple themself wouldn’t ‘Scam’ you. Something went wrong when they initially inspected your watch. Did they not give you any reason at all? If they didn’t, then why don’t you ask them why they denied your claim, that seems like a logical thing to do, given if they found a technical issue with the watch, wouldn't you want to know yourself?

Reactions: chabig

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
I was upbeat receiving a $90 credit for my old watch series 5... Having ordered it online and then sending the old one back as required, they sent me a message claiming the trade-in value was $0 instead of $90... On what basis did they decide this on a perfectly good watch without any scratches at all....

So probably I would have gotten more money had I just sold it on ebay or elsewhere...

Anyone else have a bad experience trading in an apple watch series 5?

I was expecting more from apple frankly...
I'm surprised that someone would be happy to receive $90 for a Series 5. Seems like an absolute rip off.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just pay the fees and use eBay. No way I would accept $90 for a Series 5.

Which is kind of ironic, because the OP suspects he was getting ‘scammed’ by Apple, [which he wasn’t], yet, they have a higher probability of being scammed on eBay from other potential buyers, especially given the Apple Watch is one of the highest fraud potential items for re-sale on eBay.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I'm surprised that someone would be happy to receive $90 for a Series 5. Seems like an absolute rip off.

The battery was far worse then the series 3 or now the series 6, I let them keep it for $0.. It was in perfect shape otherwise, no reason given.....

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Which is kind of ironic, because the OP suspects he was getting ‘scammed’ by Apple, [which he wasn’t], yet, they have a higher probability of being scammed on eBay from other potential buyers, especially given the Apple Watch is one of the highest fraud potential items for re-sale on eBay.

I've now heard some other stories from folks who traded in their laptops.. They offered $200 and then gave them $0 or take it back.. Again, with no issues..

I'm unsure what their criteria is..

A scam or not a scam, I can't say.. But they offered $90 for a watch which works fine and has no issues.. Then they offered $0 after looking at it.. Sure, they can send it back.. So not technically a scam in the usual sense.. Then rather a rip off...

Next time I would just sell this stuff via online marketplace...

dk21

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
I got $95 for my Series 3 by trading in with Apple. I’ve also traded in other devices without any trouble and received the estimated trade value. Assuming you did use Apple directly for the trade in, I doubt you got scammed. There was probably some kind of mistake. I’d contact Apple if I was you.

Reactions: SarahTX

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
When I ordered my Series 6 Ti they (Apple) offered $220 for my Series 5 Ti.
Itsworthmore.com gave me $350 (watch plus original box, no band). It had some minor scratches/blemishes on the case itself that buffed out with a little green sponge.

For watches, it seems, Apple is low on their trade in offering. Phones are about par between apple on this online place.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I've only done one trade-in with Apple. I did it in person at my Apple store before COVID19. I would feel uncomfortable doing a trade-in online for precisely the reason you stated.

Sorry this happened to you. Try to get your watch back and sell it yourself.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Whenever possible, always trade-in in person at the Apple Store. If that is not possible, consider selling privately. The vendor Apple uses routinely low balls offers as well as changing the quote after the product has been received and can’t be returned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.