Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Hello! Apologies if this has been asked before... But through the Apple/Brightstar trade-in program, is it possible to trade in two (or more) iPhones at the same time, for credit toward a single new iPhone? Or is the program just one-for-one? (Also, would it make any difference in this case if the phones are turned in at an Apple Store, or mailed in through the Brightstar partnership?)

As a result of a carrier switch and a 5S hand-me-down, my wife and I ended up with three spare iPhone 4Ss. $50/each would take a big chunk out of the price of a new iPhone SE. :cool:

Sea Bass

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Just trade them in for an Apple Store gift card(s) and use the gift card towards the purchase of an SE.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
You can mail in as many phones as you want for Apple gift cards. There is no limit. However, he Apple stores will only let you trade in a single phone towards a new phone.

The trade in value towards a new phone may be slightly higher than the gift card value for mailing in. I'd check each one to find the best combination.

If you went to an Apple Store with three phones and purchased two phones, and asked very nicely, you might be able to get them to do a trade-in for a gift card for the third phone which you could then use on one of the two new phones you were purchasing.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Just trade them in for an Apple Store gift card(s) and use the gift card towards the purchase of an SE.

And the gift cards are only available through the mail-in program, correct? (Not at the physical Apple Store?)
[doublepost=1458944656][/doublepost]
You can mail in as many phones as you want for Apple gift cards. There is no limit. However, he Apple stores will only let you trade in a single phone towards a new phone.

The trade in value towards a new phone may be slightly higher than the gift card value for mailing in. I'd check each one to find the best combination.

If you went to an Apple Store with three phones and purchased two phones, and asked very nicely, you might be able to get them to do a trade-in for a gift card for the third phone which you could then use on one of the two new phones you were purchasing.

I wish I could try that, but I'm quite a ways (almost 150 miles) from the nearest Apple store. :confused: I'll make the trip at some point, but If I need to mail one or more of these in for gift cards, I'll have to figure that out in advance. Exchanging directly at the Apple Store sounds a lot easier though, if I could do that. :)

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
And the gift cards are only available through the mail-in program, correct? (Not at the physical Apple Store?)
[doublepost=1458944656][/doublepost]

Officially, that is correct. Unofficially, it depends on how the store manager feels at any given time.

In your case since you have to drive 150 miles, I would mail them in.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Mail one in, trade one in. Or mail both and sell the gift card, then walk into a Target/Best Buy and get it with a promo (Best Buy has $50 GC for example)

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
Hello! Apologies if this has been asked before... But through the Apple/Brightstar trade-in program, is it possible to trade in two (or more) iPhones at the same time, for credit toward a single new iPhone? Or is the program just one-for-one? (Also, would it make any difference in this case if the phones are turned in at an Apple Store, or mailed in through the Brightstar partnership?)

As a result of a carrier switch and a 5S hand-me-down, my wife and I ended up with three spare iPhone 4Ss. $50/each would take a big chunk out of the price of a new iPhone SE. :cool:

Check out the 'buy' prices on gazelle or nextworth ... might be easier to get some $ for the phones.

railblue

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I had the same question. I have two other spare phones other than my current 5S. I shall see whether store manager feels great on the launch day and bring all three phones to the store.

If not, I guess I will trade-in 5S and mail in other two phones so I can sell the gift cards somewhere.

mcfromthed

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Detroit
I had the same question. I have two other spare phones other than my current 5S. I shall see whether store manager feels great on the launch day and bring all three phones to the store.

If not, I guess I will trade-in 5S and mail in other two phones so I can sell the gift cards somewhere.
As a former employee, you can absolutely trade in multiple phones. Whatever balance is left on the gift card issued for the value of your phone is given back to you. Even if you buy a phone and not recycle your old phone that day, you can do it after the fact and receive a gift card with the balance.

Prices are different in store than they are online as far as value for a phone. In my experience, in store was always a better price.

Reactions: rneglia

railblue

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
As a former employee, you can absolutely trade in multiple phones. Whatever balance is left on the gift card issued for the value of your phone is given back to you. Even if you buy a phone and not recycle your old phone that day, you can do it after the fact and receive a gift card with the balance.

Prices are different in store than they are online as far as value for a phone. In my experience, in store was always a better price.

Thanks, this helps me a lot. I tried getting a price estimate online from apple's own trade-in page and if I really do end up getting those prices, I would end up getting $210 credit for SE, which will be a rather great deal for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.