Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
I have a 10.5 iPad pro with the dreaded white spot issue. I didn’t notice it in time- frankly I was oblivious it was even an issue. Has anyone tried to trade in an iPad like this? I am thinking about upgrading, but if I don’t get a decent trade in value I’ll just hold on to it a while longer.

Last edited:

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
I traded in my Air 2 a couple weeks ago and noticed what looked like two white spots on the screen right before sending it. Thought I would’ve gotten anything for it based on someone else’s experience here on MR (was initially quoted with a trade in value of $105), but lo and behold, I ended up getting the full value in return! Still waiting to receive my gift card as we speak, but needless to say, I’m pretty happy with the outcome. You can try sending it in - you might get lucky. If not, you can just ask for it to be sent back to you.

Reactions: Danae02

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
I would like to wish you good luck if you actually do end up trading it in! :D
Thank you. I am still not sure what I’ll do. The white spot is not discrete- it’s pretty noticeable, but I use the dark mode and it doesn’t bother me much. I wanted a larger screen and was going to get a 12.9 with the education discount and promo, but I just don’t know if it’s worth it since my current iPad works fine - minus the white spot issue. The chance they won’t notice the problem is pretty small and I feel like I am being wasteful not hanging on to my 10.5 ?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I took my, out of warranty, Gen 3 to Apple Store, and they replaced it. The Apple genius looked at it for 2 seconds, and said we don’t even try to diagnose these anymore. I’ll have someone from the back bring one up. I know others have been not as lucky. But sometimes it is the right genius at the right time.

Reactions: Benhama and Danae02

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
As the clock draws nearer to the end of the deal I have decided to keep what I have, white spot and all ? I would go to the store, but it’s all by appointment and an hour away and I don‘t have a lot of time right now. Will reevaluate in another year or two if the battery starts fading out.

Reactions: CharlesShaw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.