Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyhe23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I have an iPhone 12 Pro with att installment, and it still has 8 months to pay off. In this case, can I trade in this iPhone in with Apple and buy the new iPhone 14 pro? If I do so, and if I use the new iPhone 14 pro on my att line, will I lose all the remaining credit for the remaining 8 installment?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
The fine print on the Apple website for the ATT deal says "Trade in device may not be on existing installment plan."

This question may be answered when the order banks open, but it also sounds like you must either upgrade your plan or activate a new line with the trade in deal. I am already at the most expensive plan Unlimited Elite so there is no plan to upgrade to, and I have no need for another line. So I suppose I cannot get the deal? Anyone know?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I moved from an iPhone 12 Pro on credits to an iPhone 13 Pro. I paid off the remaining balance on the 12 Pro.

Then I bought the 13 Pro from Apple and did the ESIM transfer from my 12 to the new 13.

I traded in the 12 Pro at Apple for the 13 Pro and paid in full the 13 Pro balance, so I owe nothing on the 13 Pro.

I did this back in Nov '21 and I am still getting my monthly credits on my 12 Pro (from trading in my 11 Pro).

And just to confirm, I am on AT&T.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I moved from an iPhone 12 Pro on credits to an iPhone 13 Pro. I paid off the remaining balance on the 12 Pro.

Then I bought the 13 Pro from Apple and did the ESIM transfer from my 12 to the new 13.

I traded in the 12 Pro at Apple for the 13 Pro and paid in full the 13 Pro balance, so I owe nothing on the 13 Pro.

I did this back in Nov '21 and I am still getting my monthly credits on my 12 Pro (from trading in my 11 Pro).

And just to confirm, I am on AT&T.
It sounds like you can pay off the phone early and still get the credits as long as you don't finance the new phone with AT&T.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It sounds like you can pay off the phone early and still get the credits as long as you don't finance the new phone with AT&T.
The way they phrase the deals, the credits are tied to line of service and that needs to be kept active to get all the credits.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
From what I understand from dealing with ATT forever, you’ll have to pay the actual remaining balance on the 12, but then you can trade it for the new phone and get credits on the new phone. I think you’ll likely lose the remaining credits on the 12.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
The way they phrase the deals, the credits are tied to line of service and that needs to be kept active to get all the credits.
Yes, they say that the line must remain active and in good standing.

But Apple is offering less trade in value than AT&T, so keeping the credits and trading with Apple versus losing the credits and getting a higher trade in seems like it would favor the latter. Apple is only offering me $350 for my iPhone 12 versus $999 from AT&T (assuming I can use the deal).

BTW, $999 trade in is more than the phone cost. I am willing to stay with AT&T for 36 months to recover that if they will let me use the deal without upgrading or a new line.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yes, they say that the line must remain active and in good standing.

But Apple is offering less trade in value than AT&T, so keeping the credits and trading with Apple versus losing the credits and getting a higher trade in seems like it would favor the latter. Apple is only offering me $350 for my iPhone 12 versus $999 from AT&T (assuming I can use the deal).

Pretty sure you can use the deal with AT&T, but you will have to pay off that 12 then trade it in. And you probably need to make the payoff today if you want to order tomorrow - I was just on the site and it needs time to get stuff processed.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Pretty sure you can use the deal with AT&T, but you will have to pay off that 12 then trade it in. And you probably need to make the payoff today if you want to order tomorrow - I was just on the site and it needs time to get stuff processed.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I don't need to order tomorrow so I'll try to confirm that I can trade-in with AT&T for the $999 deal before I pay off my phone. If I can't get the trade-in deal then I will either explore other options or keep the 12 for another year.

Garyhe23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I still have a question - can I trade in my still-on-installment iPhone 12 Pro to Apple (not with att), and I will still pay the att remaining installment with credit after I get the new iPhone 14 and use it to the installment line?

Reactions: Nino313

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Those who are getting promotional credits on installments, and then pay off installments on AT&T play a risky game. I know people have been able to get away with paying off an installment plan and still get credits, but I know others who have not. Furthermore, the terms of the promotions basically say that if you do pay off your phone early, you forfeit the credits.

Again, I know there have been plenty of people who have been able to keep the credits, but I’ve also seen people get burned. Move forward at your own risk trying to play phone swap games with AT&T and receive promotional credits.

4ddbbfa485becea37b1bf640717d1e09.jpg

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Those who are getting promotional credits on installments, and then pay off installments on AT&T play a risky game. I know people have been able to get away with paying off an installment plan and still get credits, but I know others who have not. Furthermore, the terms of the promotions basically say that if you do pay off your phone early, you forfeit the credits.

Again, I know there have been plenty of people who have been able to keep the credits, but I’ve also seen people get burned. Move forward at your own risk trying to play phone swap games with AT&T and receive promotional credits.

4ddbbfa485becea37b1bf640717d1e09.jpg
The language you highlighted says "entire installment term," which begs the question: does the term end early if the device is paid off early? Hmmm.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The language you highlighted says "entire installment term," which begs the question: does the term end early if the device is paid off early? Hmmm.
Yes... once the entire device is paid off, the installment term is terminated due to the fact it restores the line as eligible for upgrade for a new installment term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.