Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olympic1L19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
I read somewhere that the tariffs go into effect on September 1st and Apple will more than likely pass the cost onto the consumer. Is this true? I was planning on picking up an XR today to avoid the rise in price. How much do you think they'll raise it? $50? $100?

I know the price is going to drop soon either way but my phone is falling apart and it's a crappy Alcatel 7 (Google it if you're morbidly curious)

Should I wait?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
There's always eBay and private sellers for the iPhone, as well as new ones coming out soon. I would wait.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The differences between XR and 11R are not insignificant. Even with a price increase, it may be worth waiting for the 11R.

Reactions: ruslan120

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I read somewhere that the tariffs go into effect on September 1st and Apple will more than likely pass the cost onto the consumer. Is this true? I was planning on picking up an XR today to avoid the rise in price. How much do you think they'll raise it? $50? $100?

I know the price is going to drop soon either way but my phone is falling apart and it's a crappy Alcatel 7 (Google it if you're morbidly curious)

Should I wait?

No rumours are Apple will pay the difference

Reactions: JohnnyChuttz

Olympic1L19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
The differences between XR and 11R are not insignificant. Even with a price increase, it may be worth waiting for the 11R.

I think that's what Im gonna do. I just don't really care for that unsightly camera..

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since the XR is the budget iphone, the next model will be essentially the same with minor differences. Maybe it'll get another lens - whoop dee doo.
If you buy a XR now, you can keep it on very stable iOS 12.4. If you buy the 11R in September, it'll come with buggy brand new iOS 13 already installed. So although the hardware will be a little newer, the OS will be worse for several months until it gets ironed out... so you'll have to suffer through what amounts to beta software with your brand new 11R whereas if you get the XR now you'll be home free with solid software.

Get the XR now

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So it won't have that ugly new camera?

All models will get the square camera bump.

11R will have 4GB RAM, which is important if you keep the phone a long time.

• Telephoto lens
  • Improved Face ID
  • Gigabit LTE
  • Improved Taptic Engine

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Apple will likely absorb the tariffs. They have the cash to survive for a while and to politically maneuver around tariffs with increased prices would probably hurt sales and damage consumer trust.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
i heard prices for the 11 are staying the same as 10s. Since they had a 11.8% decrease in sales compared to last year they wont raise the prices specially since this year wont be a big upgrade. The problem with getting a new phone from now till 2020 release is the resale value will take a hit as soon as 5g handset becomes available.... So if you can, hold onto whatever you have till next year. Or get a used 7 till next year.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

Should I wait?

Trade wars are easy to win. I heard that from a very stable genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.