Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I’m that guy who uses an iPad instead of an old-school notepad. Yes, I go into meeting and scribble on a screen and later search and find my note with ease.

The iPad has just made it easier for me to do my business without forgetting or loosing papers… I sometimes connect work apps and do calendar… but for the most part: I do nothing else.

The upgrade cost me less than $400 and gives me a great testing tool for my future apps and websites… but that front facing camera. BLEH ?.

The screen seems to a little glitchy - catching frames when it’s not in use… and the camera seems to be lagging behind. It feels responsive but I don’t know if it’s actually a step down. Size to me, I love the smaller 11.9’. It does the notes and doesn’t require me to carry around a OLED tv everywhere. Apple Pencil still attaches to the one side… and the pencil feels like it responds faster.

In my humble opinion… if it wasn’t for designing apps and things of that nature. I wouldn’t have spent the money.

Maybe I can utilize it for more - but for what? I am looking forward to using it with photoshop and illustrator but I don’t do that often enough.

Maybe I need it to churn some bitcoin or something and I’d fall in love with it again. The upgraded display (not by much) is awesome.

So if you wonder- should I upgrade from the 2018. First impressions no. With the power of the M1 if your editing, photoshopping, working with hdr… maybe.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't think the 2021 11" has anything that makes it an "upgraded display" over the 2018 12.9". They have the same brightness levels, refresh rates, contrast levels, color spectrums, etc.

Unless you moved to the 2021 12.9" with mini-LED? I'm confused.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Sorry for the confusion… nope went from larger iPad 2018 to smaller iPad 2020.
The power and speed of apps is noticeable but that seems to be the only change.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Would anyone really notice the diff between the M1 & 2020 11”?
Yes, I notice the difference in browsing, 2018/2020 are very smooth but 2021 is even more instant. Having said that I would not upgrade for that. The main reason that make the upgrade worth it, in my opinion, is the added RAM, which translates in less reloads (not considering the miniled of course, which is 12.9). However the difference from the 2020 is only 2GB so not as dramatic as that with 4GB devices.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Would anyone really notice the diff between the M1 & 2020 11”?

It’s actually noticeably snappier.

I have app auto updates disabled and just update manually. I really appreciate the iPad not bogging down while installing apps in the background (and very quickly at that).

Iirc, the 2018 & 2020 Pro (6GB/1TB) could handle multitasking as well but I felt like there was a bit more of a performance hit. Alas, already returned those a long time ago so I couldn’t do side by side comparisons anymore.

Reactions: Dealmans
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.