Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Any specific ideas? Should I just add a voice over? Or maybe a few title slides? I didn't realize how hard it would be to summarize a 25 minute movie.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
It doesn't make sense.

Don't try to get small clips from every sequence of the movie. Instead, try to get a hint of the story. The writing on the side gives a good summary, try to just make a video of that summary i.e. show how she is all happy, then have a clip of how the friends are worried, and then that last clip you had with her saying she's not on drugs, that was good. Then yes, get some titles, some background music, it greatly helps in setting the overall tone of the trailer and gives some idea of what the movie is going to be like. Make it INTERESTING, because a trailer has to make others want to watch your movie!

Good luck.

irmongoose

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
sigamy said:
Any specific ideas? Should I just add a voice over? Or maybe a few title slides? I didn't realize how hard it would be to summarize a 25 minute movie.

First, go here and contrast and compare what you see to your trailer. Trailers (and commercials) tell stories every bit as much as a feature length movie does. You can't just toss clips together and expect magic to happen. You should be asking yourself, what do you want the viewer to feel? When do you want them to feel it? And how do you make them feel it?

Lethal

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Making a trailer is, IMO, harder than making the actual movie. You have to show just enough to make the audience want to pay money and take time out of their lives to see it... at the same time you cant give away too much info or there will be no point to go see the movie.
<simon cowell> That trailer was awful. It made me want to get a gun and shoot myself and family in the head. It made no sense whatsoever. Please, please take you mac and burn it. </simon cowell>

Okay, really: I have know idea what the movie is about besides some vague reference to drugs and some insane guy and audio that is clipping. make it longer, take your time editing the trailer until YOU feel motivated to plan the next few weeks of your lives around seeing that movie. Add a soundtrack, title card at the beginning (something like " some addictions are worse than others, etc.." a teaser of some sort) and a title card at then end displaying the name of the movie. Finally, perhaps a voiceover would be good, of you have something important to say. Also, form a stylistic standpoint, I would make the movie B&W, high contrast and add some grain. It will look much better than DV, which is just ugly, and it will distract a bit from the clipping audio. Also, fire up Garageband 3 and really take your time doing some foley work. Nothing says ameture like bad sound.

Or you could just add some explosions, a rock band, and some women in bikinis. :p

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Couple of big issues in my mind, especially as I am a media composer:

1) What is with that clip that has music and then it's gone in the next scene?!! You need a complete underscore for the whole thing - that will make it feel more linked to start with.

2) Like others have said - select clips that tell the story.

I was actually interested by this, and it does seem a great short...it just needs a little more work. I actually like the style of clipping short extracts, and showing the comedy aspect of the work...just pick more coherant clips and try and get some music designed for you (so you're not infringing copyright - but pleaaaaasssseee don't use garageband!) and you'll be set.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
LethalWolfe said:
First, go here and contrast and compare what you see to your trailer. Trailers (and commercials) tell stories every bit as much as a feature length movie does.
Yep, and this one is a great example of why that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.