Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Yes, yes, I did search and couldn't find any mention.

I just purchased the Jetdrive Lite 330 to offload little used and/or non-speed dependent files, to free up my main SSD on my 14" MBP. For those who have used these before for long term use, did you format the drive to Mac OS Extended or leave it with it's preformated ExFAT?

Thanks

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Appreciate the response. My only options in disk utility for this SD card are...
  • Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled)
  • MS-DOS (FAT)
  • ExFAT - Out of the box format
Given those options, it's looking like the first option, as it's only ever going to be living in this MBP or the old one where I'm extracting the data.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Appreciate the response. My only options in disk utility for this SD card are...
  • Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled)
  • MS-DOS (FAT)
  • ExFAT - Out of the box format
Given those options, it's looking like the first option, as it's only ever going to be living in this MBP or the old one where I'm extracting the data.
Sounds like you know the answer to your question

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Sounds like you know the answer to your question
Since the Mac already recognized the ExFAT, I didn’t know if there was some limitations or advantages to the other options - speed, less Overall storage after reformatting, file size limitations, total files per folder, etc…

A guess? sure. Wanting to to be sure? Heck yea

Reactions: Srao1982
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.